Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
So I have been looking at this camera for a little while now, after hearing many good things about its functionaliy with entry-level photographers (myself). Looking around, the cheapest I have seen this is for $550. Do any of you know any places I have no seen for a better deal... or should I not even purchase this camera, and maybe try another?

Thanks for the help!

MT37

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
It's a solid entry level camera. I have the XT, and I'm very happy with it. But I'm currently in the beginning stages upgrading my lenses and then finally my body. But I really recommend the XT or XTi.

But if you're going to buy online please check out http://www.resellerratings.com/ for a store so you don't get ripped off.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Buydig, Abes of Maine, Amazon all have it for around $550. Thats an awesome price for a great camera. None of the comparable models cost that little (Sony alpha, Nikon d80)

palmerized

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
St Jacobs, ON, Canada
I've got this camera -- bought it last year in Aruba when my original Rebel died on me... awesome camera. Love it -- autofocus is super fast and picture quality is incredible.

You won't be disappointed.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I had XTi since last October. While it's a great entry-level SLR, it is due for an update in late February.

I am guessing it will get DIGIC III processor, 14-bit RAW and sRAW, improved high ISO performance with auto ISO, live view LCD, and EF-S 18-55mm IS kit lens option.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
or should I not even purchase this camera, and maybe try another?

Don't think of this as "buying a camera" You are buying into a system. The SLR body is just one part. You are going to need a lens to go with the body. Which lens you buy matters a lot more then which body. So many beginners look at the body so carefully, compare features and specs and so on then when they finally buy it they pickup just whatever lens the reseller happens to include without thinking much. It should be the other way around. Think of the collection of lenses you want. Does Canon make the set you'd like? What about Nikon? What about the used lens market? How about strobes? Which strobe system do you like. Finally then after you sort this all out pick a body. When you look at the total system the body is not the most expensive part and the first think you will replace. Lenses and strobes tend to last for decades but no one wants a 10 year old DSLR body.

Should you buy that camera. No one here knows. We'd need a lot more information about what's importent to you and what you are looking to do and your budget.

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Don't think of this as "buying a camera" You are buying into a system. The SLR body is just one part. You are going to need a lens to go with the body. Which lens you buy matters a lot more then which body. So many beginners look at the body so carefully, compare features and specs and so on then when they finally buy it they pickup just whatever lens the reseller happens to include without thinking much. It should be the other way around. Think of the collection of lenses you want. Does Canon make the set you'd like? What about Nikon? What about the used lens market? How about strobes? Which strobe system do you like. Finally then after you sort this all out pick a body. When you look at the total system the body is not the most expensive part and the first think you will replace. Lenses and strobes tend to last for decades but no one wants a 10 year old DSLR body.

Should you buy that camera. No one here knows. We'd need a lot more information about what's importent to you and what you are looking to do and your budget.

I never really thought about things this way. Thank you for telling me this, it will definitly make me take a mintute to go back and take a look at all this.

pbook15

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
This statement is absolutely right, i just bought the XTi about a month ago and the lens that comes with it is ok but I also bought the 70-200 f4 L lens and the pictures it takes are outstanding. This was my first DSLR body and my plan is to buy a couple more Canon L lenses then upgrade the body in a few years. I've been carrying both lenses and the camera around Afghanistan for the past few weeks and it's held up very well, a little dirty on the outside now but no problems. I've also run into other guys here who have one and only have great things to say about it. One thing that I will look into myself when i get home is camera armor - a rubber casing that goes around the body to protect it from the elements and rough use. Save money by going with the XTi and invest in some good lenses.

I never really thought about things this way. Thank you for telling me this, it will definitly make me take a mintute to go back and take a look at all this.

dannofuzz

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
I agree with pbook15 and ChrisA. You'll spend way more on lenses than you will on the camera body. You'll probably upgrade the body every 5 years, but the lenses you'll have much longer than that, especially the "L" lenses. I got lucky when I bought my XTi, I was regularly checking Craigslist and found a woman who had won a brand new XTi in a sweepstakes and said she had no use for it. She wanted $700 for it and I offered her $500 (this was for the body + lens kit). She took it! We met at the Apple Store here in town and after making sure I was actually getting a brand new XTi, gave her the $500 and now I'm enjoying the greatness that is the XTi. Picked up a few new lenses, and looking to get a few more after Xmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.