Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jam_jar_binks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
I recently got a macbook pro from a friend due to it no longer having a working battery. I have tried to fix the battery to no luck, and don't want to buy a new one.

I do however have a number of similar hobby batteries —same voltage and cell count, but lower watt hour total—, and was wondering if I could use one or more of those. The issue I'm running into is that I have no solid idea on the pinout for the battery —an a1322.

As far as I can find, pins 1-3 are power, 7-9 being the ground. but pins 4, 5, and 6 I'm lost on. I know they are called SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SCL, SYS_DETECT_L, and SMBUS_SMC_BSA_SDA. but not much more than that. I've tried to just attach the new battery in place of the old one, and attaching the new battery directly to the battery port of the mbp, to no results.

Any help explaining these pins, spoofing them, or people trying to do the same as me would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.