Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voshem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Hi! So I was foolish enough to buy an iPhone 7 plus off craigslist without examining it thoroughly enough to see that it had been jailbroken. Stupid, I know. Now, I want to restore the iPhone, but iTunes doesn't recognize or sync with the phone. I am at a loss as to what to do. I think the phone has some sort of android program on it now, I got a message saying something about MT65XX ? Do you have any advice?? The phone runs, but it's in super crappy shape, so keeping it this way is not an option :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi! So I was foolish enough to buy an iPhone 7 plus off craigslist without examining it thoroughly enough to see that it had been jailbroken. Stupid, I know.
Not stupid. At least if you ask me. I've been jailbreaking since late 2012. Every iPhone I've ever owned has been jailbroken, including my current 6s+.

So no condemnation from me on purchasing a jailbroken iPhone.

Now, I want to restore the iPhone, but iTunes doesn't recognize or sync with the phone. I am at a loss as to what to do. I think the phone has some sort of android program on it now, I got a message saying something about MT65XX ? Do you have any advice?? The phone runs, but it's in super crappy shape, so keeping it this way is not an option :(

A couple of things to do first.

1. Get a computer capable of running the latest version of iTunes. You need to run the most current version, NOT the latest version that your computer can run.
2. Update iTunes to the current version.

For the restore, I am going to assume you want to wipe the phone and restore as new. We can try DFU Mode for that. DFU mode is a base level interaction between the device and iTunes. There's no GUI involved with the device itself.

So, here you go for that.

1. Open iTunes
2. Connect iPhone to computer.
3. Turn iPhone off.
4. Put iPhone in DFU Mode The act of doing this will turn on the phone. Keep in mind, if you see a screen on the iPhone with a USB cable and an iTunes logo, you are NOT in DFU Mode. DFU Mode shows nothing on the screen (it's blank).
5. iTunes will detect an iPhone in recovery mode once you are properly in DFU Mode.
6. Have iTunes upgrade and restore the device as new.

At this point you can either set the phone up as new or you can restore from iCloud or iTunes from your own backups.

DocHollywood79

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018
L.A.
Not stupid. At least if you ask me. I've been jailbreaking since late 2012. Every iPhone I've ever owned has been jailbroken, including my current 6s+.

So no condemnation from me on purchasing a jailbroken iPhone.

A couple of things to do first.

1. Get a computer capable of running the latest version of iTunes. You need to run the most current version, NOT the latest version that your computer can run.
2. Update iTunes to the current version.

For the restore, I am going to assume you want to wipe the phone and restore as new. We can try DFU Mode for that. DFU mode is a base level interaction between the device and iTunes. There's no GUI involved with the device itself.

So, here you go for that.

1. Open iTunes
2. Connect iPhone to computer.
3. Turn iPhone off.
4. Put iPhone in DFU Mode The act of doing this will turn on the phone. Keep in mind, if you see a screen on the iPhone with a USB cable and an iTunes logo, you are NOT in DFU Mode. DFU Mode shows nothing on the screen (it's blank).
5. iTunes will detect an iPhone in recovery mode once you are properly in DFU Mode.
6. Have iTunes upgrade and restore the device as new.

At this point you can either set the phone up as new or you can restore from iCloud or iTunes from your own backups.
[doublepost=1520530193][/doublepost]... oh I'm sorry...! Just hit the wrong button.

@eyoungren: Did you actually read her post? I thought she was mentioning something 'bout "MT65XX".

@voshem: It seems to me that you purchased some sort of an Android phone. And that "thing" is called "MediaTek MT65XX". Just use google... MSRP is around $70-100 for a new device...

And please do not, under any circumstances, type in your Apple-ID, password or credit card information. Your phone may be hacked.

If I were you I'd look for my communication protocol with the vendor at craigslist and take a walk to your local Police Department and try to get my money back...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
@eyoungren: Did you actually read her post? I thought she was mentioning something 'bout "MT65XX".
Yes, I read her post. Did you?

Her question about MT65XX was because she was curious about it. But this is not her actual problem.

OP wants to restore, so I offered a solution to that problem.

I have no idea what MT65XX is, but restoring her phone to stock should eliminate that. Which is another reason I didn't bother trying to answer it.

DocHollywood79

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018
L.A.
"I think the phone has some sort of android program on it now, I got a message saying something about MT65XX ?" That makes you think she's curious about it? Okay, you win....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
"I think the phone has some sort of android program on it now, I got a message saying something about MT65XX ?" That makes you think she's curious about it? Okay, you win....
First of all, if it's really running an Android app then she does not have an iPhone. And if she does not have an iPhone then she's in the wrong forum for this question.

You cannot run Android anything on an iPhone, even jailbroken. So that means, whatever it is, is almost certainly jailbreak related and will therefore be wiped when she restores. So, it goes away at that point.

So why are you focusing on this as the problem when the real problem is her not being able to restore the iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.