Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyoethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
Help! My rMBP (which, by the way, the warranty just ran out a week ago. Bummer.) is making a grinding noise. The noise doesn't happen often, and it only lasts for a second or two and then stops and then I don't hear the fan at all. It's happened twice since last night. I'm very worried about it, considering it's barely a year old, and my warranty ran out. I'm pretty sure it's the fan that's making the noise, but is it something for me to stress over? I really don't want to deal with my Mac dying or something due to tis issue :(

edit: I've also been playing a bit of Sims on the computer, which makes the computer get pretty hot, which isn't surprising since I sit on my bed and play it. But I've only played it a few times for 30-1hour. Could overheating be the issue? I also edit on FCP on my bed as well.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
No, heat should not cause that.
Can you upload a recording of it, so it's easier to know what we're talking about? It sounds like your fan might be obstructed in some way.

Also, where are you located?

heyyoethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
No, heat should not cause that.
Can you upload a recording of it, so it's easier to know what we're talking about? It sounds like your fan might be obstructed in some way.

Also, where are you located?

Here's a link of what it sounds like. Skip to 4 seconds and it sounds like that almost exactly.

I live in Kansas.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Definitely obstructed fan. Might just be dirt which you could clean yourself, but more likely it will need replacing (which you can also do yourself relatively cheaply if Apple isn't willing to help.

iStat Pro / iStat Menus can measure temperatures.

Reactions: deany

heyyoethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
I would contact apple. I'm certain they will fix it free if the rMBP is so new and just out of warranty. I personally wouldn't use it in the meantime as it may overheat are you near an apple store?

The nearest Apple Store is 30-40 minutes away, so I'm not terribly far. I'm just really nervous that I'll show up and they'll laugh in my face and tell me to leave. Apple has a way of making you feel helpless if you don't feed them money 24/7.
[doublepost=1469815112][/doublepost]
Definitely obstructed fan. Might just be dirt which you could clean yourself, but more likely it will need replacing (which you can also do yourself relatively cheaply if Apple isn't willing to help.

iStat Pro / iStat Menus can measure temperatures.

Ahh okay. Thank you :) I'll see what I can do.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
The nearest Apple Store is 30-40 minutes away, so I'm not terribly far. I'm just really nervous that I'll show up and they'll laugh in my face and tell me to leave. Apple has a way of making you feel helpless if you don't feed them money 24/7.
[doublepost=1469815112][/doublepost]

Ahh okay. Thank you :) I'll see what I can do.

If you phone apple and explain. Here in the UK even if a product is out of Warrany you are covered if the item failed too soon.
Ask yourself when you bought it did you expect this to happen - No - rMBP should last 5 years trouble free, minimum.

heyyoethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
If you phone apple and explain. Here in the UK even if a product is out of Warrany you are covered if the item failed too soon.
Ask yourself when you bought it did you expect this to happen - No - rMBP should last 5 years trouble free, minimum.

Oh okay. Thank you so much! I'll see if I can go up there really soon :)

Reactions: deany

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
- Unfortunately, the Americans aren't quite as fortunate as us Europeans when it comes to consumer warranty laws.
Manufacturer warranty is all they have in most cases.

heyyoethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
Similar thing happend to my rmbp i took it to the authorised reseller in my country. They cleaned the fan and i paid 30$ for it, im happy about it.

Okay! I might take it to an Authorized Reseller then, considering there is one close to me. Thank you!

heyyoethan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
i took it to a reseller simply because there are no apple stores where i live. If you are in the states or anywhere were there is an Apple store go there.

My thought is that going to an authorized reseller would be better for me, considering my warranty ran up. I feel like they'd be more willing to help than the actual Apple store near me. And the Apple store is around 30-45 minutes away, and finding time to go there can be difficult, where as the authorized reseller is only 15 minutes away.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My thought is that going to an authorized reseller would be better for me, considering my warranty ran up. I feel like they'd be more willing to help than the actual Apple store near me. And the Apple store is around 30-45 minutes away, and finding time to go there can be difficult, where as the authorized reseller is only 15 minutes away.

Disagree on going to the reseller first. I'd go to the Apple store first and see what they will do for you. I trust the Genius's at the Apple store a thousand times more than a reseller and you'll probably get better results as they will have much better relationship with head office than a reseller would. From past experiences, a reseller would rather sell you a new macbook or their repair service to attempt to fix it. They won't just give you a new MacBook because of their generosity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.