Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeccaJanis629

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
I got a refurbished SBSS 40mm watch from Amazon. It was listed as new/other. I called the vendor and they said that’s what you get with used and I could return it. When I opened the box I was so sad to see a large nick in the top right corner and more scratches on the screen than is on my series 0 stainless steel. I paid $399 for it. I’ve been looking around and it seems to be a good deal but I am
not happy.

Attachments

• ED1EB5A3-34F3-4586-B97E-F788A00D53EF.jpeg
    ED1EB5A3-34F3-4586-B97E-F788A00D53EF.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 338

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
If you’re not happy, absolutely return it. I have kept damaged items before and I’ve always come to regret it.

Reactions: Otflyer

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Return it, you would be better off buying new or from Apple's own refurbished site. You probably won't find that good of a deal, but it would be better than what you have.

You want to check MR Marketplace as I know members here usually take good care of their devices.

BeccaJanis629

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Return it, you would be better off buying new or from Apple's own refurbished site. You probably won't find that good of a deal, but it would be better than what you have.

You want to check MR Marketplace as I know members here usually take good care of their devices.
Do you think Swappa is reliable? I don’t have access to marketplace because I haven’t posted enough.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
i would return it.

Alternatively if applecare+ is still active, then claim the self-damage incident once to replace the casing. I'm assuming you've transferred the ownership of applecare+ back to yourself. Otherwise, return it. :)

IrishVixen

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2010
Return it. Make sure you do so with package tracking though!

I bought an s4 40mm aluminum from Amazon Warehouse Deals last month, listed as used-very good condition. First one still had all packaging, but contained an activation locked watch. Contacted Amazon, arranged an exchange. Second one was again still in its protective wrap, with everything in original packaging, and paired fine. Both watches were still within the period where AppleCare+ could still be purchased—I think it’s likely the first buyers either decided to upgrade size, materials, or to the cellular model, since neither showed physical signs of use. Not a scratch or nick to be seen, and a significant difference in price, cheaper than buying used on Swappa.

The return itself was something of a nuisance. Prepaid UPS label from Amazon, UPS delivered back to them quickly...but they didn’t register the return. It took almost a month, and a couple of chats where I sent them the tracking number, before Customer Service finally said they couldn’t find it but I wouldn’t be charged. A week later, I finally got their confirmation of the return. ?

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Do you think Swappa is reliable? I don’t have access to marketplace because I haven’t posted enough.

Yes, Swappa is very reliable. I've bought and sold many things on there before and have never gotten a bad deal. It is a much more painless process than buying from someplace like eBay.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Even if you had access to the marketplace Forum, you might as well have the expectation that you’re going to take a considerable hit, because your audience is is more minimal and you’ll have a larger demographic on other sites selling who are willing to pay a higher price, but based on condition/model, etc.

BeccaJanis629

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Return it. Make sure you do so with package tracking though!

I bought an s4 40mm aluminum from Amazon Warehouse Deals last month, listed as used-very good condition. First one still had all packaging, but contained an activation locked watch. Contacted Amazon, arranged an exchange. Second one was again still in its protective wrap, with everything in original packaging, and paired fine. Both watches were still within the period where AppleCare+ could still be purchased—I think it’s likely the first buyers either decided to upgrade size, materials, or to the cellular model, since neither showed physical signs of use. Not a scratch or nick to be seen, and a significant difference in price, cheaper than buying used on Swappa.

The return itself was something of a nuisance. Prepaid UPS label from Amazon, UPS delivered back to them quickly...but they didn’t register the return. It took almost a month, and a couple of chats where I sent them the tracking number, before Customer Service finally said they couldn’t find it but I wouldn’t be charged. A week later, I finally got their confirmation of the return. ?
Thank you! I’m going to return it through Amazon. Hopefully they’ll process it quickly.

Reactions: IrishVixen

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I got a refurbished SBSS 40mm watch from Amazon. It was listed as new/other. I called the vendor and they said that’s what you get with used and I could return it. When I opened the box I was so sad to see a large nick in the top right corner and more scratches on the screen than is on my series 0 stainless steel. I paid $399 for it. I’ve been looking around and it seems to be a good deal but I am
not happy.
You paid $400 for a series 3?! Heck, if its used I'd be more worried about the battery than that nick. A 2+ year old watch isn't worth it because of the battery and potential lag over time.

I would 100% return it and get a used series 4 that's already with apple care.

BeccaJanis629

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
It is a series 4. I also bought an aluminum one from best buy for $300. I may keep that one since it has Apple care. I just love the look and durability of the stainless. With 2 kids I don’t know how the aluminum will hold up?

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
not happy.

If it wasn’t as described, return it. Especially if it was amazon you shouldn’t have a hard time getting your money back

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
You paid $400 for a series 3?! Heck, if its used I'd be more worried about the battery than that nick. A 2+ year old watch isn't worth it because of the battery and potential lag over time.

I would 100% return it and get a used series 4 that's already with apple care.
#1 Series 3 did not come in 40mm
#2 OP said it was the Stainless Steel version
#3 Even if it was a 3, Apple still sells brand new ones so the battery wouldn't necessarily be "2+ years old."

It is a series 4. I also bought an aluminum one from best buy for $300. I may keep that one since it has Apple care. I just love the look and durability of the stainless. With 2 kids I don’t know how the aluminum will hold up?
3 kids here. I've only ever owned aluminum Apple Watches. I don't take them off for yard work, DIY projects around the house, playing sports, or going to the beach. Only taken it off for working on the car in tight spots. Yes, some minor surface scratches on the screen, but can't see them in everyday use, particularly when the screen is on. No noticeable scratches or blemishes on the body, for now. I don't worry about the aesthetics too much and just use it as a utility tool for everyday life. I guess that's one advantage of the aluminum is you might worry less due to the lower cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.