Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snahbah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
The Issue:

The display ports are failing "handshake" at boot. They remain blank.

If you pull them out of the card and replace when the Mac has booted, then that's okay.

Try to boot normally, the DP (scene blank) not seen.

D-DVI port or HDMI = OK

Anyone got any ideas?

PS Passing forwards: another tip I found is to use another Mac to screen share if the driver has switched over from Nvidia to OSX Default Drivers. Saves sticking a Mac card in there for the switch, that a good one :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 17.38.58.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 17.51.30.png

Last edited:

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I never had this problem with my GTX Titan X, and I'm only using DisplayPort. Only the monitor has to be switched on before the Mac.

Did you try a fresh install of OS X, or booting from another partition?

Last edited:

Snahbah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I never had this problem with my GTX Titan X, and I'm only using DisplayPort. Only the monitor has to be switched on before the Mac.

I'll give it a try. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me - that's really cool of you. I'll let you know how I get on.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
The Issue:

The display ports are failing "handshake" at boot. They remain blank.

If you pull them out of the card and replace when the Mac has booted, then that's okay.

Try to boot normally, the DP (scene blank) not seen.

D-DVI port or HDMI = OK

Anyone got any ideas?

PS Passing forwards: another tip I found is to use another Mac to screen share if the driver has switched over from Nvidia to OSX Default Drivers. Saves sticking a Mac card in there for the switch, that a good one :)

View attachment 693357
View attachment 693358
Ha! I also have one of those Dell 3008WFP monitors hooked up to my cMPs. That thing is a power inefficient beast! Almost 10 years old now.
I use DVI from a GTX 680 on macOS and DP from a GTX 1080 running Windows 10.
I've also used DP on the GTX 680 and it also runs fine. I'd be looking at that second monitor as the culprit.

Snahbah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Ha! I also have one of those Dell 3008WFP monitors hooked up to my cMPs. That thing is a power inefficient beast! Almost 10 years old now.
I use DVI from a GTX 680 on macOS and DP from a GTX 1080 running Windows 10.
I've also used DP on the GTX 680 and it also runs fine. I'd be looking at that second monitor as the culprit.
Thanks! You're right, the do get silly hot! Still working fine. I'll have a play about - there are a few ideas I've got to try. Thanks for taking the time for me, I appreciate it.

itdk92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark

If I actually swith the monitor on after i have turned the machine on (waiting smth like a few seconds) booting is much faster

Snahbah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
FIXED!!!!!! Yipeeee. I changed a bunch of stuff, so it's difficult to isolate the issue. I changed the power cables for the Titan, I changed the confguration of the power going into it, I changed the DP cable (although it was new and certified), I changed the start-up drive, and erm, that's what I can remember off the top of my head.

Only thing now is, Remote Desktop doesn't seen to work - but I've got and old GT120 I'll try for a fix.

Loving this tinkering, it's as frustratating as it is rewarding.

Thanks so much for all your ideas - I really appreciate the time you've all given to help me.

(Typos corrected :))

Last edited:
Reactions: Synchro3

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Ha, congrats! Good troubleshooting.
Perhaps try putting the old DP cable back in and seeing if the issue returns. Easy way to quickly check if it was that. My guess is yes, despite being wrong earlier in my previous post :)

Snahbah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Ha, congrats! Good troubleshooting.
Perhaps try putting the old DP cable back in and seeing if the issue returns. Easy way to quickly check if it was that. My guess is yes, despite being wrong earlier in my previous post :)

Thanks! I'm a bit hesitant to touch it TBH. Knowing my bloody luck it'll stop working again :) SSD is back in and I'm very happy with my rig now. Shame about the remote desktop (screen sharing) but that'll be the next task. Cheers for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.