Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamester23

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Has anyone else had this problem? Got the homepod yesterday. Played fine from itunes on mac and from phone. However, it will not play audio from mac beides itunes. Both browsers Safari and Chrome and anything else. I have been through the sound settings and have selected it as output. Still nothing. Have reset my laptop, reset homepod and reset phone. All are on same network. Again, homepod is playing right now music from mac itunes. But nothing else will it play from mac. Took back Homepod yesterday, got a new one and same problem. HELP!

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm not really sure I understand completely, but you want to play audio from your Mac on your HomePod, but the source of the audio isn't iTunes?

There should be an audio-logo in the top right of your screen, in the menubar. Pick the HomePod and it will be used for all audio. It's the same menu where you can adjust the volume.

If it's not there, go to the audio-settings of your mac and choose "show in menu bar"

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I second what @BlankStar advised. It seems like a software issue as the device was streaming from other devices.
I find it telling that anybody would take the thing back and expects a hardware issue with this setup - what a waste of time and resources.

What kind of Mac are you using and what version of OS X is installed?

Hope you get it sorted out! Fingers crossed!

Reactions: chabig

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
I think we are in limbo until Apple updates MacOS to 10.13.5, hopefully today. I now have wonderful stereo on my HPs, but only playing from the iPhone which was used to set up the stereo pair. Mac doesn't recognize the stereo pair, and in fact will now only play one HP at a time, whereas before I could play one, two or three at once.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I think we are in limbo until Apple updates MacOS to 10.13.5, hopefully today. I now have wonderful stereo on my HPs, but only playing from the iPhone which was used to set up the stereo pair. Mac doesn't recognize the stereo pair, and in fact will now only play one HP at a time, whereas before I could play one, two or three at once.

I'm at work now, but I'll test it tonight. The stereo pair works fine with my iPhone and Apple TV, never bothered to test how it works with the Mac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.