Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

go0degg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
A dumb mistake to put water by my keyboard, and my cat got to it.

None of the keys were working for hours after the spill. I was in bed and my computer turned on, so I checked the keyboard and now some of the keys work.

The confusing thing is-
Keys above the space bar don't work
"P" key lowers the volume and vice versa
Pressing delete turns on caps and vise versa
Those were the only ones I've noticed so far.

I can't log onto the computer because my password contains "M" which is a key that isn't working :/

Is there any way to fix this, or do I have to get a new keyboard?

(Model A1644, if that means anything)
It's a wireless keyboard

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
You can try standing it up in front of a fan for a few days. I don't have that model; if it's possible to open it up at all, do that. The more airflow through the inner bits you can arrange, the faster you'll know the results. It might work, it might not. If you are looking for a quicker fix, throw it out and replace it.

My experience with a much more virulent spill (red wine into an older MBP, ugh) was that with careful cleaning and days of drying, I got it to work for a few months. After that, the keyboard started to fail (garbled keys, keys not working) and I ended up replacing the keyboard unit.

Reactions: go0degg

go0degg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Thank you, I'll try that.
There isn't any way to open it up from what I know, sadly :/

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Blow dry the keyboard then let it sit for a couple of days, try turning the device on Thursday.
These electronic devices made recently have less parts to damage.
Do not throw it away, use a free keyboard app to run your Mac until then.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Now why would you leave a cat with water and a keyboard? :rolleyes:

Anywho what was said above are good ideas, but also, if you can find enough rice to fully submerge it in, try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.