Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Selsk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2017
Hello! I'm asking for a little help troubleshooting a Mac Pro build I am doing for a friend.

He wanted something to help him with rendering 3d stuff his macbook was lagging with. I am not an expert but I have built many PC's and tinkered with upgrading many macs over the years. I personally have a 2013 6 core.

He found a 5,1 12 core. I put 64gb of ram in it. We got a 1080 and a SSD for it as well. The initial install was a little time consuming. Once I upgraded to High sierra I got stuck in a boot loop. So I reinstalled regular Sierra and got it working. I had the 1080 installed as well as the original card. I eventually got high sierra installed and everything was running fine with the nvidia drivers. This was actually a few months ago! So.. I forget all the details that was involved with the build but all looked fine. Did some geekbench tests and was very proud.

Anyway, my friend has been super busy and did not come by to pick up his new machine. So it sat in my office for a few months like I said. He even forgot about the new computer he had waiting for him! Lately I have been messing around with mining some alt coins on my nMP. So I was like what the hell..... I wonder what the hash rate on the 1080 will be? Maybe I can install win10 in bootcamp and see how many FPS I get with PUBG. Lol. So last week I plug in his machine. Well, I type in his login info while I am running around my place, tidying up etc. A few min later I return to the machine and the monitor is off and there is a red light flashing in the case. I googled the red light of doom.

I replaced the 2030 battery on the logicboard. I tried removing all ram, using only one dim, two etc. I tried removing the 1080, the original card etc. I tried removing the other HD's... nothing will cure the red flashing light. As soon as you plug in the power cable the light starts. You don't even have to try turning it on.

I pressed the Diagnostic button and LED 2 Standby or Trickle Power lights up. Its a yellow led.

I removed the bottom processor tray to check the connection pins and they all look fine.

One odd thing I notice when turning the tray upside down I get a kind of rattling sound coming from a cooling tower. Like something is loose inside? Is that normal?

Welp. That's all I know to do so far. I guess my next step would be to remove the cooling towers to check on the processor situation. I'm also going to try another AC power cord just to see for some stupid reason that is the prob. He didn't leave me the original cable so I have been using one from my massive old epson 9600. My spare nMP cable does not fit because of the little collar on the plug.

Any help would be much appreciated! So strange that it appeared to be working fine and then after just a short sit it all goes to hell.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
A few min later I return to the machine and the monitor is off and there is a red light flashing in the case.

There are red LEDs near the CPUs, near the memory, in the diagnostic stack, etc. So saying there is a red LED warning light is not very helpful unless you mention which one it is.

I don't recall a rattling when handling my tray. You might have a broken Northbridge heatsink clip as h9826790 is alluding to with his link. This is a relatively common problem.

Selsk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2017
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It is the red LED near the diagnostic stack.

I have been reading up about it:

When i press the diagnostic button I get;
LED 2 Standby or Trickle Power
"Normally on when DIAG_LED button is pressed. If LED 2 is not on, the symptom would be that the computer won’t power on.
Troubleshooting:
• Check AC cord is connected to a working AC wall outlet.
• Reseat AC Plug.
• Check connections of power supply cables to the logic board.
• Check power supply cable connections at power supply.
• Replace power supply"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.