Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
i really like the aperture interface, etc.. but theres times where i really need photoshop. well with aperture having its own organizing library, using photoshop (saving as PSD).. i was wondering

lets say theres a photo i upload via to aperture.. then i decide to use that photo for cs3, then i open it in cs3 to edit it. the tricky or annoying part is saving it... you obviously cant save into the aperture library itself so is the only other option saving ie. desktop and then exporting to library again???

thanks

oh and your workflow recommendation would be great too.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
i really like the aperture interface, etc.. but theres times where i really need photoshop. well with aperture having its own organizing library, using photoshop (saving as PSD).. i was wondering

lets say theres a photo i upload via to aperture.. then i decide to use that photo for cs3, then i open it in cs3 to edit it. the tricky or annoying part is saving it... you obviously cant save into the aperture library itself so is the only other option saving ie. desktop and then exporting to library again???

thanks

oh and your workflow recommendation would be great too.

This is one of the wonderful things about aperture - you can do exactly what you want and each version is automatically managed without you having to do anything else!

I keep all my photos (300gb worth) in the aperture library. If you store them elsewhere there may be extra steps, but I really see no reason to do so.

(my) Steps:

1) Import file into aperture
2) Quickly go through and "9" all the deletes
3) Go back through again and rate the 3-5's (my keepers)
4) Do most of my work in Aperture
5) for those pictures that do need cs3 work - right click and OPEN WITH (cs3)

At this point - aperture will create a NEW file (I use 16 bit TIFF files, but you can use PSD if you wish) and your original RAW will not be touched. Edit to your heart's content in PS and then SAVE.

Note: do NOT "save as" and give it a different name, of that file will not be in aperture unless you import it.

So long as you save, when you get back to aperture you'll see a new updated version of the file that you just created AND your original file.

It's that easy. You should never have to import and export files EXCEPT if you're batch processing large numbers using PS actions. For example I wanted to run a denoise plugin on every picture i took in an album, so I exported the files, ran them with a PS batch process and then reimported them as a separate folder. But if you're just editing one file at a time, you don't need to do this - aperture does it for you.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
5) for those pictures that do need cs3 work - right click and OPEN WITH (cs3)

wow, thank you SO much!!!
just a question about that though about right clicking...

is there some kind of default of "edit w/ CS3?"
cuase thats wats been bugging me is when having to open a file in photoshop than via saving it desktop then importing AGAIn into aperture!! :(

again thank you for your help!

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 71

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
thank you!
OMG.. for the longest time ive been debating between bridge, lightroom and aperture. but this as just made me go aperture 100% !!!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Bridge is an entirely different application from Aperture and Lightroom.

Glad that you were able to fix your problem though.

Aperture is still my choice and I have used a good deal of apps just like it.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Under preferences you can set CS2/3 as your external editor and then it will show up. You can also set 8 or 16 bit export and PSD or TIFF there.

I bought a mac pro after 20 years of being a PC user just to get aperture because of the versioning management. It's that nice!

Give a shout if any other problems. Cheers.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
as of now, im setting it at psd 16..

for the DPI, its at 300 default.. i know this has something to do w/ the print quality but what would be your guys's recommended settings?

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
oh and i was wondering about why some of the edited pictures had the check plus while others didnt?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 387
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.