Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I've got Aperture on a MBP, to organise my photos. Everything was fine till, a few days ago, Aperture started misbehaving, then let me know that most of the projects needed 'restoring'. I use the laptop purely for photography, hoping to avoid this kind of problem.

I keep original picture files on a separate drive (plus another drive as back-up), so I don't think I've lost any photos. But when I tried to get my pictures back into Aperture, they'd lost all their captions, crops and adjustments... and that's a real headache for me. I'm pretty good with a camera, but my computer knowledge is not so great. Basically, I'd like to get my pictures back to how they were, with captions and adjustments. Any ideas about how I can do this? All suggestions very welcome, 'cos I've got thousands of pix to deal with...

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
You didn't happen to back up your Aperture library before this all happened, did you? Not to lecture, but your Aperture library is very valuable once you have pictures in it (as you now know). That's odd that your captions, etc disappeared. If you purchased Aperture, Apple support should help. I've never had the problem you're having.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, not sure I can help not having had that problem, but could you post exactly what the program is telling you? 'Restoring' is a little vague -- perhaps it just needs to be told where to find your referenced files? In that case, just find 'Manage referenced files' somewhere in the menus (not at a computer with Aperture at the moment, so I can't remember exactly where).

In any case, you've got to use Aperture's vault features to back up your database every once in a while. It'll save plenty of heartache later. Check out the 'Archiving images' tutorial at http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/tutorial/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.