Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Good morning all!

I've always used iTunes to backup my iPhone to my Windows PC but looking for alternative applications to use for backups. Since my iPhone is 512GB, I want to backup on an external harddrive. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to change the backup location in iTunes to an external harddrive or not but that's an option as well if anyone can walk me through that.

Any suggestions on windows app to backup my iphone?

Thanks in advance for any help!

HPad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019
Good morning all!

I've always used iTunes to backup my iPhone to my Windows PC but looking for alternative applications to use for backups. Since my iPhone is 512GB, I want to backup on an external harddrive. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to change the backup location in iTunes to an external harddrive or not but that's an option as well if anyone can walk me through that.

Any suggestions on windows app to backup my iphone?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sadly not possible.. Can only backup and restore off the OS drive. Which is a PAIN in the rear. You can always backup assuming your OS drive has the space and then go into the mobilesync folder and move the folder to another drive.

My issue with backup/restoring in iTunes is the requirment of storage space. Say if your backup is 200GB you need at least 400GB free. 200GB for the backup and its gonna need the size of your backup to restore it or else it will fail.

hansokl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Sadly not possible.. Can only backup and restore off the OS drive. Which is a PAIN in the rear. You can always backup assuming your OS drive has the space and then go into the mobilesync folder and move the folder to another drive.

My issue with backup/restoring in iTunes is the requirment of storage space. Say if your backup is 200GB you need at least 400GB free. 200GB for the backup and its gonna need the size of your backup to restore it or else it will fail.
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I don't have enough free space to do a backup locally on my PC with iTunes
:(

I've tried just importing the pictures and videos via windows when plugging in my iPhone. That takes forever but also results in errors with certain files. I guess I can either purchase space via iCloud or look for other windows apps I can at least backup my files up with.

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.