Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naim135

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
Hi folks I have borrowed the above Camera and I am wondering if anyone knows why if you shhot in Full Auto Mode you cant specify RAW as a file type.

I think the same is true for TIFF on my Old Leica Digilux 1 (This camera is pre RAW formats):confused:

B

Bokser

You can select RAW or RAW+JPEG format from the menu only for Creative Zone modes (P, Av, Tv...etc.)

In Full Auto (Green mode) the camera takes ONLY JPEGs.

Hope it helps!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You can also select RAW if you're in Program ("P") mode (I shoot Nikon, but I've used the 300D at work a few times).

I usually prefer Program mode to full Auto anyway.

Edit: I missed that Bokser had mentioned "P" mode already - but Program Mode isn't a "Creative Zone" mode.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I don't know if there is a real reason, or if it's just Canon punishing people for shelling out so much money for a camera and not attempting to learn how to use it. They may have figured that if you didn't know how to use the "creative" modes properly, the RAW files would cause you problems too (which is quite possible). When I first got my camera, I just shot most things in P mode until I got used to it so I could have raw and then moved on to the other modes. Most kit lenses won't give you a really short DOF, so for many situations, P mode will keep people in focus. For landscapes it's obviously not the best choice. Meh, it's digital, just flip it to one of the creative modes and play with it. Shots are almost free. Have fun.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi folks I have borrowed the above Camera and I am wondering if anyone knows why if you shhot in Full Auto Mode you cant specify RAW as a file type.

I think the same is true for TIFF on my Old Leica Digilux 1 (This camera is pre RAW formats):confused:

I think this is a feature the Canon added to protect beginners from themselves. The idea is that someone who knows nothing about cameras can simply put the camera on "A" and nothing bad would happen. To many people raw format would mean images they could never use - bad thing.

This might also have been done to save Canon some tech support costs. It prevents hundreds of people from calling up asking "What are these odd files and what do I do with them?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.