Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I know this might sound strange, but the exposure on my XTi is wonky. When in Manual mode (or M), the exposure is always -2. All of my shots always turn out completely black. So, can anyone help me? I have a photographic assignment I must get done this weekend, so I kinda need help soon... Thanks.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Since you said you have an assignment, I won't give away too much:

1. The "-2" you are seeing is what your camera's meter is reading (of course on the xti there is nothing below -2.)

2. Manual mode requires the user to set all three aspects of exposure. Be sure you adjust them properly for your shooting conditions, i.e. your meter should read ±0.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
How do I lower the F-Stop in Manual mode?

There are two dials on the XTi (if I remember rightly; it certainly is the case on the 20D, and I'm pretty sure Canon tries to keep the interface reasonably consistent.) One is near the shutter release button. The other is a dial on the back of the camera.

One of those will control the aperture (f stop); the other will control the shutter speed.

npederse

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
The XTi has only the one wheel (I'm fairly sure). But you're correct, hitting the AE button and the then dial will adjust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.