Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SczarX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Hello everyone,

Story shot. My brother gave me a (Brand New) (Cannot find the DVDs)

Imac 2009 A1311 emc 2308 3.06Ghz that he had in his storage and forgot about it.

I started the Imac everything works great. I did some updates > reboot and then (White screen with a folder and question mark) after research found out that it needs a new hard drive) I purchased SSD and OWC in-line thermal cable.

installed everything but the system can’t find the SSD.

I tried Alt-R, Command-Option-P-R, Command-Option/Alt-R (Nothing works)

More research and I was told there are no firmware installed that’s why I get the white screen.

Unfortunately, I only have access to windows 10 (really, I have no access to another apple laptop or pc.

More and more research. I found a way to make a bootable USB through windows 10 using TransMac using this method

but when I boot Imac it will not recognize the SSD nor the USB keep getting the same White screen with a folder and question mark.

I am out of Ideas. Any help will be appreciated.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Hello everyone,

Imac 2009 A1311 emc 2308 3.06Ghz that he had in his storage and forgot about it.

I started the Imac everything works great. I did some updates > reboot and then (White screen with a folder and question mark) after research found out that it needs a new hard drive) I purchased SSD and OWC in-line thermal cable.

More research and I was told there are no firmware installed that’s why I get the white screen.

Unfortunately, I only have access to windows 10 (really, I have no access to another apple laptop or pc.

More and more research. I found a way to make a bootable USB through windows 10 using TransMac using this method

but when I boot Imac it will not recognize the SSD nor the USB keep getting the same White screen with a folder and question mark.

Do you have an Apple store nearby? If so they should be able to help, just cal for a genius appointment.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
All recover options will not boot for you at all? Have you tried holding down the option(ALT) key, connect to the internet either via wifi or ethernet, and see if the internet recovery option becomes available to you after waiting about a minute?

SczarX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
All recover options will not boot for you at all? Have you tried holding down the option(ALT) key, connect to the internet either via wifi or ethernet, and see if the internet recovery option becomes available to you after waiting about a minute?

Its a late 2009 model. They dont have internet recovery. But to answer your quetion. Its a No. No recovery. there is nothing comes up except the white screen with question mark inside the folder.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Hello everyone,

Make and model of the SSD? I have an iMac 27 inch late 2009 11,1 running a Samsung 840-evo for the past 7 years. Just upgraded it to Mojave last month without a hitch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.