Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emanaydin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Hey guys, i just got myself a canon rebel XTi and i was wondering someone could give me a tip on lenses. I'll be shooting cars mostly at scenic spots.

As of now i have the body, i believe i'm going to get the 18-55mm IS lens, or the i was offered a deal on a canon 28-90mm f/4-5.6 lens, but im not sure if that will do me any good at car shots.

Any tips on some good lenses, or tips for car shots?

emanaydin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
how much are you willing to spend?

i know lenses are expensive but for a first lens i'd like to keep it under 300 bucks if possible since i blew a good amount on the camera itself as well as other equipment.. or if you could perhaps suggest a lens that i can work towards in the future.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
i know lenses are expensive but for a first lens i'd like to keep it under 300 bucks if possible since i blew a good amount on the camera itself as well as other equipment.. or if you could perhaps suggest a lens that i can work towards in the future.

well depending on how far away you are going to be. its nice to have a zoom lens that wil be semi wide.
i think this would be in your budget. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303166-REG/Tamron_AF05C700_17_35mm_f_2_8_4_Di_Autofocus.html

and if you wanted something tighter , and longer http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284399-REG/Tamron_AF09C700_28_75mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

for now you can stay cheap, but the image quaility will be affected. in you keep shooting and really like it and have a bigger budget you could look at these

Canon
17-40 F/4L
16-35 F/2.8L

Tokina
11-16 2.8 (really ggod if you can find one!)

hope that helps, if you dont like those or need something else please post so we can find something that would better suit you

emanaydin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
for car shots and/or an overall FIRST purchase for a lens.. would you recommend either the kit lens that comes with the XSi, which is canon 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6, or a canon 28-90mm f/4-5.6 (i was offered this one as a free "upgrade" instead of the 18-55mm kit lens for XTi)..

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
for car shots and/or an overall FIRST purchase for a lens.. would you recommend either the kit lens that comes with the XSi, which is canon 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6, or a canon 28-90mm f/4-5.6 (i was offered this one as a free "upgrade" instead of the 18-55mm kit lens for XTi)..

I'd stay with the 18-55mm, as the 28-90mm lens will not get very wide.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
As of now i have the body, i believe i'm going to get the 18-55mm IS lens, or the i was offered a deal on a canon 28-90mm f/4-5.6 lens, but im not sure if that will do me any good at car shots.

The 18-55 is an ideal lens for this kind of subject. Shoot with that until you can say specifically why you need another lens. You do not need a "fast" lens as you will beshotting at about f/8 to f/11 because you need the large depth of field.

One thing you should buy first before a lens is a tripod. These kinds of shots are really do require a tripod. Not just to make the shot sharp but car shots need very find and careful composition and the tripod makes you think and work a little bit harder and fine tune the compositions

The next thing car shootiers need is lighting equipment. The most usful and lowet cost thing to get is a king size white bed sheet and a PVC pipe frame.

But the llens you have is just about what you need for this.

or a canon 28-90mm f/4-5.6 (i was offered this one as a free "upgrade" instead of the 18-55mm kit lens for XTi)
I can see where a dealer might be stuck with some of these 28-90mm and have to resort to practically giving them away. They were the "kit" lens for a film camera. 28-90 is not to bad of a range if you are shooting a full frame body but 28mm is not wide enough on a "crop body" and you are going to want a wide lens for shooting cars.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
In terms of lenses you can work toward for the future I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either of these three:
  • Sigma 10-20
  • Canon 10-22
  • Tokina 11-16

But I think the 18-55 should suit you for now. You'll be stopped down anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.