Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeeramones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2008
i've always always wanted to take a picture like this
and i know im gonna need external flash.
but how do these photographers take picture like this with flash, without giving the object the oily, gross , red-eyed things?

i heard of bouncing the light but i never got that concept.. :(
index.cfm

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...226&albumID=0&imageID=19488073#a=0&i=19642267

EDIT----

http://i31.tinypic.com/2helwef.png

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Your link just redirects me to Myspace.com

Bouncing the flash is when you point the flash unit at the floor/ceiling/wall and bounce the light from the flash onto the subject.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Bouncing flash means using a flash unit like the Canon 430 speedlite. Flash units like that have a swivel head that you can use to project the flash onto a large wall or ceiling, which results in a more extended light source for more natural looking photos.

This is covered in any digital photography how-to book. Try visiting a local library or bookstore and pick up a book or two on digital photography. Good luck!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i heard of bouncing the light but i never got that concept.

It's one of those things that is easy to understand but hard to master. "bounce" is easy. Youi aim the light at some large flat object like a wall or ceiling and then it is is that wall or ceiling that iluminates the subject.

The general principe is that physically large light sources are "soft". Clouds on an overcast day are "large" as are walls and ceilings. The little light built into a compact camera is "small" and makes a very "un-soft" light. Use soft light to avoid that effect you describe. When a flash is aimed at a wall the size of the light source is the size of the bright spot on the wall.

The other qualities of light are direction and fill ratio. Learn to control softness, direction and ratio and then you have it. After that you will know the technology and "only" have the art left to master.

It is easy to find books on portrait lighting at Amazon or a library. Even very old books from the black and white film era are still good. Look at art books that predeate photography. Rembrandt was as master of lighting. Look at his paintings. You will see that he use large light sources (like windows) and a horizontal light direction

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
i've always always wanted to take a picture like this
and i know im gonna need external flash.
but how do these photographers take picture like this with flash, without giving the object the oily, gross , red-eyed things?

i heard of bouncing the light but i never got that concept.. :(

To get rid of red-eye, you simply need the flash away from the lens axis, a device called a "flash bracket" is usually used for this purpose. For good flash, you need to diffuse the light, bouncing off a low ceiling or bounce card or putting it through some kind of diffuser are all popular methods. Google "Better Bounce Card" for a cheap/effective device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.