Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Hello all.
I recently received two MacBooks. I believe they are the old 2007-ish MacBooks. I think they have core 2 duos. One works perfectly fine, which was great.
The other did not.
I plugged it in, and pressed the power button. No bootup chime played, however, the screen lit up and the apple logo with a progress bar appeared. The progress bar went to about 2 or 3 percent, then disappeared. I thought then it would boot, because it showed the loading apple logo image.
But no. it stayed that way. No disk activity. Just the loading logo.
I rebooted in safe mode, and nothing happend.
I rebooted and reset the pram, and the computer played the bootup chime, but nothing else changed.
Finally, i booted in single user mode. I ran fsck and it said error 8 cannot repair drive, or something like that. I was mad. I power it off.
I might also note that after a few minutes, the fans rev. And dont get quiet.
So, please help! I really want to fix this Macbook...

Attachments

• 20160123_093413.jpg
    20160123_093413.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
You likely have a faulty hard drive. To confirm, boot from a medium that isn't the internal hard drive and perform a repair with Disk Utility.

Bioshock.Rocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
Have you tried swapping the hard drive from the unit that is working to the unit that isn't working to verify that its the hard drive that is faulty?

It sounds like its the hard drive but try it out and if it boots fine, you have your answer right there.

iBoss101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Have you tried swapping the hard drive from the unit that is working to the unit that isn't working to verify that its the hard drive that is faulty?

It sounds like its the hard drive but try it out and if it boots fine, you have your answer right there.
that fixed it!! thanks!! for some reason when i put the hdd back in the broken mac it works. sometimes it beeps again, then i bounce it on a hard surface and it works great!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Beeping usually means a problem with the RAM. You can likely fix that if you do a simple reseat of the memory sticks.
They are easy to get at when the little L-shaped access panel is open for the hard drive. It takes a very firm push to get the memory sticks to seat. Pull both out, then swap the sticks between the slots. When the stick is seated, you can almost feel a "click". If you don't feel that, pull it out and try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.