Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drditty

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
upstate NY
I would like a simple photo editing app, just to cut certain aspects of an image (shutters on a building) and replace with nearby siding or bricks. Any advice on a simple to use, inexpensive or free app that can do this. I have aperture, and I don't think it has the ability to do this, but I could be wrong.
Thanks.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Actually, Preview will do what you want! There are lots of options now build in to the program. I'm not at the mac right now, so can't tell you exactly the steps, but you can easily cut out a portion of a photo, then copy a portion of another and paste it in the first. Dig around in there, see what you find.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you want "free" then it's Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) Adobe's Photoshop Elements 4 is abut $80 retail and will do more then you need. But Adobe will be releasing version 6 in a few months, they are taking "pre-orders" now. (there is no version 5) If you think you might want Elements. Buy the Wacom "bamboo Fun" graphic tablet for $100 and you will find Elements inside so you get the tablet for only $20 more. The tablet is a big step up from a mouse for photo editing.

If you work in 16-bit per channel color Gimp will not work for you and Elements 4 supports it only half way. You'd need Photoshop CS3. But most people work with jpg images and Gimp would do well enough.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Actually, Preview will do what you want! There are lots of options now build in to the program. I'm not at the mac right now, so can't tell you exactly the steps, but you can easily cut out a portion of a photo, then copy a portion of another and paste it in the first. Dig around in there, see what you find.

That would look awful. To do what he wants you need to make detailed selections and work with layers. Colne tools with varyable properties and so on. I assume when he says "remove a shutter" he means remove it so that the image still looks natural. A crude cut and paste of rectangular areas just will not look good.

drditty

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
upstate NY
thanks, and how about pixelmator

since I've posted the query I have done some googling and have found pixelmator and seashore as well. Thanks for your help all.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
since I've posted the query I have done some googling and have found pixelmator and seashore as well. Thanks for your help all.

seashore is a port id Gimp to the Mac. Gimp will always be ahead in terms of featurs and bug fixes but seashore may look nicer if you are a Mac user.

pixelmator is not quite there yet. Gimp and the Adobe lineup is very mature

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.