Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollig03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2023
LOST EMAILS
last night i spent an hour or so deleting emails I had 3800 on my icloud email account I did nothing different than any other time i deleted emails. hit edit & selected about 1500 to be deleted when i clicked delete my inbox went crazy after about 7 min it said NO EMAILS wtf? i then realized oh im fine all will be in trash bin.. opened trash and NOPE all the emails i had selected were there but none that i didn't select. I've searched every folder nothing they literally just disappeared.like many people a lot of my emails act as records & receipts. I had a legal case that just settled however theres an issue & now i have none of the correspondence that i desperately need.
please someone tell me my emails aren't gone forever.😢

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Check the web interface for iCloud. See if your emails are there.

If they are. Remove your iCloud account from your computer. Then add it back.

If they aren’t. Disconnect from the network and try to restore from a Time Machine backup. Move everything to local mailboxes in Mail.

Then reconnect to network. Remove and add back iCloud. Then move your emails from your local mailboxes, back to the iCloud server.

hollig03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2023
Check the web interface for iCloud. See if your emails are there.

If they are. Remove your iCloud account from your computer. Then add it back.

If they aren’t. Disconnect from the network and try to restore from a Time Machine backup. Move everything to local mailboxes in Mail.

Then reconnect to network. Remove and add back iCloud. Then move your emails from your local mailboxes, back to the iCloud server.
Thank you for your recommendations. I went to icloud.com/mail from my pc and they are not there in any folder looks just like mail on phone and computer meaning all the same emails. is that what you mean by web interface?
the rest of what you said is like reading a foreign language.. im far from data/computer savvy. if you feel like it can you explain like im 5 years old 🙏 Thanks again

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Yes, icloud.com is what I meant by the web interface.

Are you using Time Machine for backups? is the drive left connected for automatic backups?

hollig03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2023
I don't know what time machine is but my phone backs up to the cloud . now it gets even weirder my trash is emptying itself every 24 hours and i have it set at ask me before deleting
is time machine on my desk top? im afraid of resetting my phone and it won't be there if i then use the latest back up as it was the day after it happened

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I don't know what time machine is but my phone backs up to the cloud . now it gets even weirder my trash is emptying itself every 24 hours and i have it set at ask me before deleting
is time machine on my desk top? im afraid of resetting my phone and it won't be there if i then use the latest back up as it was the day after it happened
iCloud isn't going to back those up. If you aren't using a backup program to backup your computer. Such as Time machine, Super Duper or CCC. I doubt you'll get any of those emails back.

hollig03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2023
E1EBB639-3F8F-4EE9-AB0F-87390C50C079.png

saltcityman11

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2023
Salt Lake City
LOST EMAILS
last night i spent an hour or so deleting emails I had 3800 on my icloud email account I did nothing different than any other time i deleted emails. hit edit & selected about 1500 to be deleted when i clicked delete my inbox went crazy after about 7 min it said NO EMAILS wtf? i then realized oh im fine all will be in trash bin.. opened trash and NOPE all the emails i had selected were there but none that i didn't select. I've searched every folder nothing they literally just disappeared.like many people a lot of my emails act as records & receipts. I had a legal case that just settled however theres an issue & now i have none of the correspondence that i desperately need.
please someone tell me my emails aren't gone forever.😢
Have you tried this? https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/rebuild-mailboxes-mlhlp1227/15.0/mac/13.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.