Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
My friend is looking for a tripod that has good support, somewhere around $80-100. He's pushing a D3000 + 18-55MM lens.

Any good recommendations?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
With a D3000 he doesn't need anything heavy duty but if the D3000 was meant to be a gateway to a higher end DSLR then I would buy something a little better than what you'd need with a D3000. A tripod is an investment and I'm a firm believer that you will likely buy a minimum of two tripods until you realize that you just need to get one that will be with you for a very very long time. With that being said, if you're toting a P&S then I'd get something decent, something that supports double the weight of the camera and if a higher end DSLR is purchased then make the investment into a decent tripod.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
With a D3000 he doesn't need anything heavy duty but if the D3000 was meant to be a gateway to a higher end DSLR then I would buy something a little better than what you'd need with a D3000. A tripod is an investment and I'm a firm believer that you will likely buy a minimum of two tripods until you realize that you just need to get one that will be with you for a very very long time. With that being said, if you're toting a P&S then I'd get something decent, something that supports double the weight of the camera and if a higher end DSLR is purchased then make the investment into a decent tripod.
I dont think its a gateway to another one, but something to use for landscape, family, and various long exposure shots.

So what would be a more moderate, budget-friendly that you would recommend in the case that he doesnt need anything high-end?

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
If he likes ball heads and isn't looking to upgrade to a telephoto lens anytime soon.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...maging_7322YB_7322YB_M_Y_Aluminum_Tripod.html

For an extra ~$30, he should look at this one instead, which has a quick release plate and also supports a little more weight: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602430-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_7302YB_7302YB_4_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html

I personally dislike carrying around a camera with a tripod attached, or having to mount/dismount the camera from the head between shots, so having a quick release is a must for me. 30 extra dollars to add a quick release and 3.3 lb/1.5 kg extra load capacity seems like a no-brainer.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
For an extra ~$30, he should look at this one instead, which has a quick release plate and also supports a little more weight: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._7302YB_7302YB_4_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html

I personally dislike carrying around a camera with a tripod attached, or having to mount/dismount the camera from the head between shots, so having a quick release is a must for me. 30 extra dollars to add a quick release and 3.3 lb/1.5 kg extra load capacity seems like a no-brainer.
He asked if it will support a 55-200MM as well? And anything on the ball 'sagging'.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
He asked if it will support a 55-200MM as well? And anything on the ball 'sagging'.

It will definitely support the 55-200mm, which weighs 255/335 g for the non-VR/VR versions (less than 1/10 of its max capacity). There is a switch to lock the ball head in place, and it will not sag unless what is mounted grossly exceeds the load capacity. I regularly use the 24-70mm f/2.8, which weighs 900 g, with no problems.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Since we seem to be posting links to Thom's website this week, I'll add link to his excellent thesis on tripods.

One other note, when it comes to ballheads, it's more important to get a ballhead designed to support a given max. focal length than it does to worry about how much weight it supports. But then we are talking about quite a bit more than $80-100... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.