Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soph.w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I need help and fast!

I updated my macbook the other night before I went to bed and I shut the lid to stop the annoying light when I slept - thinking the updates would carry on as normal. I was super wrong.

When I opened my macbook in the morning there were two black bars across my screen with the loading bar in the centre telling me that there was '19 minutes remaining' of the updates. I figured it had just crashed during updates so I restarted my macbook (huge mistake).

After the restart, I noticed a few things that were not right at all. I cannot open Finder or the app store and I keep getting the same pop-ups telling me that 'Finder quit unexpectedly' despite me clicking ignore and report. I get more pop-ups when I try and open Finder also, saying 'the application "Finder" cannot be opened'. If I try and open Finder from a web page, Google Chrome crashes massively.

I am a college student and without being able to open Finder it is absolutely devastating because all of my work is on this macbook!

Any help as to what I should do would be HIGHLY appreciated.

lazybrowndog

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
Mainz, Germany
Try to go to System Preferences and in Users create another admin user. Then start with that user and try if Finder works for that user.

There are additional steps to take to access the files of your old account with the new user.

But first see if it works at all. Good luck!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Boot to the recovery system (Restart, holding Command-r)
When you get to the menu screen - Reinstall macOS.
That will download the system files, then will reboot to complete the install. Should take about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the speed of your internet connection.
Let it go, don't shut down, don't close the lid, just let the install complete.
That should get your system working again.

soph.w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Try to go to System Preferences and in Users create another admin user. Then start with that user and try if Finder works for that user.

There are additional steps to take to access the files of your old account with the new user.

But first see if it works at all. Good luck!

No luck. Says 'Preferences Error, could not load Users & Groups preference pane' :(
[doublepost=1517865413][/doublepost]
That will download the system files, then will reboot to complete the install. Should take about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the speed of your internet connection.
Thank you so so so much! I'll try that now!

Last edited:

lazybrowndog

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
Mainz, Germany
Maybe you try @DeltaMac‘s suggestion first. If it finishes the install, great!

We had a guy with a similar problem (incomplete update, non-working Finder) in a german forum a few weeks ago. He couldn’t finish the update but was able to retrieve all of his files from another admin user account.

Good luck!

Reactions: soph.w

soph.w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Maybe you try @DeltaMac‘s suggestion first. If it finishes the install, great!

We had a guy with a similar problem (incomplete update, non-working Finder) in a german forum a few weeks ago. He couldn’t finish the update but was able to retrieve all of his files from another admin user account.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your help. Everything's back to normal! The relief is real!
[doublepost=1517871322][/doublepost]
Your suggestion has been successful, thank you so much - it really is much appreciated. It's saved me so much work. Now to save all of my work to a memory stick as a precautionary haha

Reactions: lazybrowndog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.