Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtblueberry

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2007
Pismo Beach, CA
That camera looks clean. All top end cameras should have a couple options like that. Neutral gray would be sweet. White keeps heat and noise down, no? I want a white mkIII!

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
That camera looks clean. All top end cameras should have a couple options like that. Neutral gray would be sweet. White keeps heat and noise down, no?

Yes, white makes it less noisy. I remember that from physics. :confused:

It looks cool to me. I don't see the color...it had me at "D3".

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
I think it would be great to have different colors, depending on like where you work...like if I were a photographer for the Ferrari F-1 Team they would give me a Ferrari Red D3 that would be PIMP!!!!haha

amik

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I'd take it for free and then I'd get myself a box of black sharpies and go to town on that thing.

jtblueberry

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2007
Pismo Beach, CA
Yes, white makes it less noisy. I remember that from physics. :confused:

I'm sure you could find info like this with a quick google search. Oh, and you can undoubtably define why this occurs through physics : )

"Hot temperatures can cause physical expansion stress in camera mechanisms and lens systems. Shutters may behave slightly differently in high heat than under room temperature conditions. Glass in lenses expands and contracts with temperature extremes. Some lens elements incorporate materials that hold glass pieces in contact which high heat can cause to change. These effects may produce unpredictable results in critical photographs.
Camera electronics can suffer heat damage. Digital cameras may suffer electronic damage if temperatures rise too high.
Heat can also cause greater image noise with Digital cameras. This is like adding fog to an image. Keep equipment protected from excessive heat. Image quality is at stake."
With that in mind, a white camera could theoretically absorb less heat... and therefore produce less noise. Same theory behind high end lenses being white to keep heat low I believe.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
That camera looks clean. All top end cameras should have a couple options like that. Neutral gray would be sweet. White keeps heat and noise down, no? I want a white mkIII!

The reason for making pro cameras black is so that when you photograph reflective object the camera does not show so much in the image. Think about chrome on cars or studio product photography. Years ago Nikon charged extra for the black version of a camera body. The idea was that only a few people would really need black. But then the idea that black ment "pro" so they made them all black.

jtblueberry

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2007
Pismo Beach, CA
The reason for making pro cameras black is so that when you photograph reflective object the camera does not show so much in the image. Think about chrome on cars or studio product photography. Years ago Nikon charged extra for the black version of a camera body. The idea was that only a few people would really need black. But then the idea that black ment "pro" so they made them all black.

very interesting, and a very good point... I mostly do portraits but an extra reflection is someone's glasses could be annoying... Although I can't imagine it being much different than my 70-200 reflecting back... Still... I think i'd try white over black... anything to show i've got a $5000+ camera... ipod of cameras? jk:)

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
too bad Nikon doesn't have all white lenses haha

They do have some of their lenses available in white...or at least light grey. Hard to find I guess, but they are around.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278173-GREY/Nikon_2140_70_200mm_f_2_8D_VR_G_AFS.html

278173.jpg

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
think is awesome, Nikon should consider releasing something similar... i would order one

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Oh yuck!

Maybe if I was a stormtrooper I'd have one! :) If I did have to use it I'd want to make sure no-one I knew was around!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.