Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
It's coming to a point where I want to give my clients a gallery where my clients can browse my photos and gives them the following options:

1. Shopping basket
  2. Paypal payment
  3. Watermarked photos
  4. Easy backend management

I find SmugMug to have all of these features, but I just wondered if there was anything else out there that could compete?

Many thanks

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
SmugMug?

You'd have to opt for the $149/year package to get custom water marks and photo/gallery/site pricing that you can set but even the basic offers baskets I think.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Smugmug and Zenfolio both have what you need afaik.
You can also make your own using paypal's merchant tools.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
If your looking for something you can run yourself, you might try Gallery.

I run this for myself, though not for profit. Its pretty decent, and a quick search found it has a cart feature, and a paypal feature.

if you already have a web host, they may already have gallery as a module you can just turn on. A few web hosting companies (specifically ones that use Plesk) have it available to their customers.

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
If you want to have a portfolio with your 'bestoff' and a shopping cart then you could use pixelpost like I do.

It's not meant to have 1000's of pictures though, but it looks great.

You can see it in action using the link below.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Smugmug is definitely where it's at... best looking themes, best picture viewer, best slideshow viewer... plus if you do a quick search on the internet for "smugmug coupon code" you can easily find a 50% off coupon...

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Oh and let's not forget that even with their cheapest plan with 50% off coupon ($19.98 a year) you can store an unlimited number of photos in full resolution (provided they're less than 24MB each) with unlimited transfer. So if you've got terabytes (or even hundreds of gigs) of photos, $20/year is worth it just for the picture backup and storage capabilities ($20/year for off-site professional hosting or hundreds of dollars for a backup hard drive attached to your computer?)

NeXTCube

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Upstate NY
What is their photo management system like? Is it easy to rename, tag, edit photos on mass?

I have to admit that I usually don't bother re-naming the photo files, though I probably should since my EOS only names up to 9999 and I've shot about 25,000 photos with it!

That said, I uploaded in albums, using their Java tool which let me drag & drop from iPhoto straight. They have an iPhoto plug in, but it didn't seem to work for me; whether that's because I'm using an older version of iPhoto (iPhoto 6) I'm not sure. You can modify picture attributes, like tags, individually or on an album-wide basis.

As for editing, I didn't use any of the site's tools for editing (cropping, etc) the photos; I did all of that in iPhoto & Photoshop Elements before uploading.

If I had a complaint, it would be that you can't set multiple mark-up options, or set prices individually per picture. I have a number of pictures that I'd be happy to post either for free or "at cost" - pictures of local events, etc. - and I haven't figured out how to do that part quite yet. But it's free! :)

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks for the info NextCube. I went for SmugMug and I'll be trying to push it's customization as much as I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.