Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dylthedog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2023
Worcestershire UK
OK, delicate topic here... before 16.4.1 Siri was fine with me dictating the word C*** but now ALWAYS replaces it with 'current', but mostly with 'Conte'. I've reset the voice recognition and such like, to no avail.

I know this is an international forum and that it's a bad word in the US and other places, but over here in the UK it's not quite got the same gravity to it (it's even allowed on TV after 9PM) and my circle of friends use it freely, in private situations of course. We even use it as term of endearment in some cases. My friends are having the same issue on iOS 16.4.1

Has Apple done something to stop Siri repeating it back to you? It's the same in Hey Siri and CarPlay when I send a message. Message dictation too. Weirdly my HomePod still gets it right but I don't really use that for messages.

Any ideas folks?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Apple controls Siri"s implementation and can do with it as it pleases.. If it doesn't work anymore, Apple must of made a change and I really don't see any way to circumvent that besides physically typing out the word in question..

Dylthedog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2023
Worcestershire UK
Yes it can, but why should Apple have the right to sensor private conversations? It really isn't Apple's place to apply Californian views on the rest of the world.

If they don't want Siri to repeat it back there are other ways to do it without impinging on my choice of words or sub-culture.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I doubt they did anything intentionally to censor words. I'm in the US and the two "c" words were dictated just fine, along with several other bad/dirty words...so they don't seem to be censoring what we say.

You said you reset the voice recognition. Did you also reset the keyboard dictionary?
(Settings -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Keyboard Dictionary)

If anything, they could have messed with the voice recognition and it's not recognizing the accent as well anymore or something. Dictation depends on which keyboard you're using, so make sure you're using the English-UK one.

Just as a test, you could potentially add/switch to the other English keyboards (i.e. Canada, Australia, Ireleland, US, etc.) to see if they work any better. The difference in accents between these regions could have an effect on how well words are dictated though. Just out of curiosity, I switched to the UK keyboard and was still able to dictate the "c" word.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Yes it can, but why should Apple have the right to sensor private conversations? It really isn't Apple's place to apply Californian views on the rest of the world.

If they don't want Siri to repeat it back there are other ways to do it without impinging on my choice of words or sub-culture.
I just tried it on my phone and I got the same resul as @iStorm. It allows me to dictate all sorts of profanity with no issues. Must be some sort of issue with your particular device

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
I wish I had known the gravity of the C word back I moved to the USA in 2009. I got fired at my first USA job for using such said C word, told HR it wasn’t a biggie where I came from ( UK ) 🤣🍆

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.