Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Delaware
My brand new 2018 Macbook pro is having a lot of problems with Hey Siri. It rarely responses to the wake up word "Hey Siri" and my console fills with errors relating to audio and the assistant. If I'm watching a youtube video in Chrome and I say "Hey Siri" the sound on you the video stops and Siri never opens. The video never regains sound unless I close the browser and reload youtube. Is anyone else experiencing these problem with Siri? The youtube problem is easy to recreate and happens every time. I'm thinking it's either a problem with Chrome or something is up with the T2 chip in my new Macbook Pro. I've also retrained Siri several times and reset the SMC.

Hooshka

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I'm having a similar issue with the 15" 2018 MacBook Pro. I started another thread about it before I saw this one. Retrained a few times too and didn't help with the inconsistency. I also noticed that if I try to invoke Siri when stuff is playing, it stutters and then Siri doesn't come up.

Any luck on your end?

baxtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
Delaware
I exchanged it for another one and the new one works fine with Siri every time. However, I have had the audio cut out on youtube in the middle of a video with this new one. The error message in the console when it happens is the same.

mattaj24

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
I exchanged it for another one and the new one works fine with Siri every time. However, I have had the audio cut out on youtube in the middle of a video with this new one. The error message in the console when it happens is the same.

I have both issues, Siri doesn't work at all for me and my audio cuts out on YouTube in the middle of a video. Did you ever find any information on how to resolve either of these issues? What does the error message say?

P.S. I also live in Delaware, small world.

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I'm now having this problem on my brand new MBP. I have reinstalled Mojave and waiting for a call back from the AC advisor...I'll keep you updated.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Siri is just trash anyways and personally always has been. I never use it at all for anything. Im sorry your having an issue I just don't understand why people even use Siri.

Reactions: MacNut

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I spoke with AC today. A restore of macOS did not work. However, a firmware restore from boot DID. I'm glad it is working, I did not want to have to go to the Apple Store to exchange my brand-new laptop. #facepalm

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
If it was an issue with the T2 chip, absolutely.

Agreed if it was related to T2, I'm just saying in general I wouldn't return my computer because siri wasn't working properly. I literally never use siri.

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
Agreed if it was related to T2, I'm just saying in general I wouldn't return my computer because siri wasn't working properly. I literally never use siri.
I think everyone forgets that Siri is 7 years old this year. It IS terrible for the most part. However our technology has far exceeded what she originally came out on and with all of Apple's recent job postings and internal shuffling for the Siri stuff I think a new version of it is just on the horizon. When that happens the technology that's baked into the current line of MacBooks and iOS devices is really going to be able to shine.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I think everyone forgets that Siri is 7 years old this year. It IS terrible for the most part. However our technology has far exceeded what she originally came out on and with all of Apple's recent job postings and internal shuffling for the Siri stuff I think a new version of it is just on the horizon. When that happens the technology that's baked into the current line of MacBooks and iOS devices is really going to be able to shine.

Agreed for sure. I just honestly have never really cared for the feature even if it was actually productive and consistent.

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
Wait until she's usable in a natural conversation (see the movie "Her" for reference) and we are going to find we cannot live without it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.