Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Scotland
After years kicking a PC around I've decided to jump ship to a mac, mainly because of Aperture, and a bit to do with the new macbook pro.
I'm pretty keen on photography, and tend to spend too much time and cash on it.

I've included a few shots to let you know where I'm at in this photography thing

All shots were taken with a Canon EOS digital camera with a 500mm lens.

John:) :) :)

Attachments

• _R0V1040.jpg
    _R0V1040.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 121
  • _R0V3958.jpg
    _R0V3958.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 100
  • _R0V0991.jpg
    _R0V0991.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 82

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm also a pretty new face around here, but never the less, welcome!

Very nice pictures, and as long as you're spending all this money, how about buying me a DSLR ;)

Hope to see a lot of you around here.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Hi there,

Have you already bought a Mac, or are you just shopping around? Anyway, warm welcome from a longtime Mac user! I really hope the Mac will serve you well, as it has me. There will always be people here to help you if you're stuck.

Things are a little bit different on the Mac platform. Sometimes for the worse, and sometimes for the better - it's always a bit personal, of course. I hope you'll find and learn the intuitive stuff that makes the Mac platform a lot of fun.

Aperture is still at its infancy, but it is coming along nicely, I've read, with its 1.1 update. It does need lots of RAM I've heard. Nice pictures, by the way.

Gamey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for the welcome ppl.
To "The Man"
I have just bought a Mac, a Macbook Pro with a 17" screen and 2.16ghz processer and 2gb of ram. It is a touch slower than my old PC but I knew that it would be when I switched. I'm using Aperture 1.1.2 and find it really good, previously I was using C 1 pro and thought that it couldn't be beat...while aperture doesn't beat C1 in terms of speed of workflow, it makes life a whole lot easier when dealing with large numbers of files that need sorting, editing and publishing. My only grumble with it is that it locks me out of my computer when it is converting the raw files:(

I'm sure that the Mac way of doing things will become 2nd nature to me in a few weeks/months, but if I get stuck I hope I can rely on info from this forum.

Cheers for now,
John

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Gamey said:
I have just bought a Mac, a Macbook Pro with a 17" screen and 2.16ghz processer and 2gb of ram. It is a touch slower than my old PC but I knew that it would be when I switched. ... My only grumble with it is that it locks me out of my computer when it is converting the raw files:(

What kind of PC were you using, if you don't mind me asking? And it locks you out of your whole Mac or just Aperture? Usually, if something hangs - the beachball thing - it will be isolated to the one app only, and you'll be able to switch to other apps and do stuff. Or if it is simply processing stuff within the app, you might not be able to do other stuff within the app, but you should be able to do other stuff on your Mac.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Gamey said:
After years kicking a PC around I've decided to jump ship to a mac, mainly because of Aperture, and a bit to do with the new macbook pro.
I'm pretty keen on photography, and tend to spend too much time and cash on it.

I've included a few shots to let you know where I'm at in this photography thing

All shots were taken with a Canon EOS digital camera with a 500mm lens.

John:) :) :)

As a birdwatcher, I'd be interested to know what kinds of birds you have there. I recognize the pheasant. But, the small bird I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.