Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danes78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I'm trying to hide certain file types within my movie and tv folders, on my external hard drive. I have a WDTV and it automatically downloads movie and tv info into 2 files per item; 1 .xml and 1 .metathumb. It's fine when the drive is plugged into the WDTV but when it's plugged into the Mac, it's difficult to find certain items when I have to sort through all these "useless" files. I can't sort by file type, because I'm already sorting by date modified/name, etc.

Anyone have any ideas for how to hide these? I'd prefer to keep them as they're useful for sorting on the WDTV but I guess I could always delete them. Thanks in advance!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Open the external drive in Finder and select File>New Smart Folder. Where it says "Search" select the drive name. On the right click the "+" symbol to add search criteria to match whatever results you want ("Kind" is "Movie"?). Click Save when you're done and put the Smart Folder where you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.