Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saxondale.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
England/China
I'm looking for a high end compact for my travels. I can't be doing with carrying my 40D with lenses/laptop where ever i go, so it'll be nice to have a compact with me. I was looking at the new Sigma DP1 but from reviews, it seems like it's failed at what it was supposed to do. The Canon G9 (sort of compact ) looks like my best bet, am i right?

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
The Canon G9 is a very nice camera.

My other recommendation would be anything from the Sony DSC line - they have excellent lenses as well as awesome sensors. (Although they're more of a bridge camera)

kitmos

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
I'd go with the Canon G9. It's one of the few compact's that shoots Raw (if that matters to you)

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Canon G9 gets my vote, great camera to use and carry. Lovely size and feel, and the build quality is great. Shooting RAW you can get fab results. It is rubbish when used at any ISO above 400 however - the noise really kicks in. It only goes to 35mm fully zoomed out too, I wish it went to 28mm...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Panasonic sells a version of the Leica D-lux 3 for only $350. It's identical except for how some default menu options are set and a rubber grip.

The G9 is nice because it can use a Canon speed light that you may already own.

It would be fun to shoot an M8. It's a step up in terms of image quality from the Canon DSLR while all the other compacts are a few steps down. To bad the price puts it out of reach.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
you can't go far wrong with a Canon G9 - it is fantastic and the best compact digital in my opinion - personally I'm waiting to see what happens in August when the rumors are that Canon will be annoncing the G10 with a DSLR sized sensor (not full frame but larger than all compact sensors)

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I don't think the G9 is "compact" at all. Sure its smaller that the 40D but not something you can throw in you pocket

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
have a look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 (10x Optical Zoom) or the end of line Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3.

I have one of the older models, great zoom for a compact

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I have the Canon G9 and can highly recommend it. It goes places my 1Ds will not. With 12.1 megapixels, RAW capability, face detection and anti-shake technology it is the compact camera to buy.

mchevalier

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Annandale, VA
Need High End Compact for Travel

I recently went to China and took along my Ricoh Caolio GX100. It is one of the best cameras I have ever used, the best for travel. The lens is sharp and ultra wide angle, built like a tank and can really take abuse. Check out the results, go to http://www.chevalierphotographyllc.com and look at the China pictures. I have blown some of these up to 16x20 with just amazing results.
Mark

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What's to rave about the G9? It has too many megapixels and it is not wide enough.
You can also add CHDK to a lot of cheaper Canons, but not to the G9.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I have the Sigma DP-1, and I mostly agree with DPReview's review (as you've probably read). It does take some getting used to, much slower, not as versatile as the G9.

It however does have marvelous image quality. I don't wear tight pants, so it also fits in my pocket just fine. If you have any questions about it, please let me know, I'm one of the rare DP-1 users on MR (I think).

John

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
What's to rave about the G9? It has too many megapixels and it is not wide enough.
You can also add CHDK to a lot of cheaper Canons, but not to the G9.

The D9 (and if you shoot 9:16 the D-lux3) are both different then many other compacts in that both have a slightly larger sensor. The larger senors make for lower noise and better low light ability and higher cost. The other thing that makes the G9 (and dlux3) "special" is that they can save images to RAW format.

It's the sensor that drives both image quality and the price tag Notice the M8 has a sensor larger than the Canon APS-C or Nikon DX DSLRs do and has a price also higher then the DSLR. Price go to five digits once you go to medium format.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
It's the sensor that drives both image quality and the price tag Notice the M8 has a sensor larger than the Canon APS-C or Nikon DX DSLRs do and has a price also higher then the DSLR. Price go to five digits once you go to medium format.

While true that the sensor drives up the price tag, the reason the M8 is so expensive is not just the sensor (1.3x crop factor), but the rangefinder form-factor.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The Dp1 doesn't fail, it's just slower than what it should be.

i.e. It's aimed at a special market like street photographers but the time between buffers isn't enough to shoot fast enough.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The D9 (and if you shoot 9:16 the D-lux3) are both different then many other compacts in that both have a slightly larger sensor. The larger senors make for lower noise and better low light ability and higher cost. The other thing that makes the G9 (and dlux3) "special" is that they can save images to RAW format.

Well, the GX100 has a sensor of the same size, less megapixels (but not as few as I'd like), shoots RAW, and goes down to 24mm (19mm with wide angle converter). I fail to be impressed by the G9.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
As already mentioned, the Leica D-Lux3 is worth considering .. :cool:
Great build quality, awesome images but unfortunately doesn't have a viewfinder.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Well, I'm not convinced about what the d-lux really improves, when the equivalent Panasonic is cheaper. Or does the d-lux forgo the "watercolor" noise reduction?

Leica and Panasonic have interesting compacts, but I'm wary about their sensors.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Well, I'm not convinced about what the d-lux really improves, when the equivalent Panasonic is cheaper. Or does the d-lux forgo the "watercolor" noise reduction?

Leica and Panasonic have interesting compacts, but I'm wary about their sensors.

What I've read is that if you shoot RAW format the Panasonic is identical to the Lieca where they differ is the in-camer raw to jpg conversion. The menu defaults in the Panasonic to a selections that reflect typical consummer preference for more color saturation and sharpening while the Leica is set to be more accurate. But in either case you can change the defaults or if you shoot raw the issue is moot.

About the sensors. If you shoot wide, either 2:3 or 9:16 the sensor is "large" (relative to other P&S cameras) becasue you are not cropping the sensor. Almost all other P&S camera have a native 3:4 sensor so if shoot 2:3 format you have to crop and make the sensor in effect smaler. But if you like 4:3 the leica/panasonic sensor is a waste

To really know what's best you are going to have to look at sample images. dpreview likey has some.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Very well put ChrisA .. :) Also the Leica has an alloy body not polycarbonate.

I always shoot .JPG in 16:9 format as my main interest (now I have retired) is to make DVD slide shows for my wide screen TV

The D-Lux is an awesome little camera and produces great images.

FJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.