Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I already owned a FitBit Versa—in fact, FitBit notified me early last year that I was having irregular heartbeat, enrolled me in a study to help them develop an atrial fibrillation tracking capability, lent me a one-week heart monitor that led to my having heart surgery this past October. After my surgery, I was advised to get an Apple Watch to check for atrial fibrillation, and have been using my AW6 regularly (and I do love it for many reasons). I just completed cardiac rehab yesterday.

So here’s my question: I am resuming at-home exercise, but have to keep my pulse rate less than 115. I have found four different apps. one of them free, for my Versa, that will give me a buzz if I exceed a set heart rate. On my AW6, it appears the only way I can get a tachycardia alert is if I’ve been inactive for 10 minutes.

Is there an app for the AW that I can set up such an alert? For now, my only option appears to be to wear my AW on one wrist and my FitBit on another when I work out.

wHD

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
Lyon, France
wHealth Dashboard has the ability to define notifications for your Heart Rate (and many other metrics) when the value is lower or higher than configurable min and max thresholds

Be aware that due to the background time limitation of applications on watchOS, notifications may be delayed by about 15 minutes (4 times per hour).

It's a paid app (3.99 USD) but without subscription.

You can get more details about the app on this thread :

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Thank you....but sheesh! When I’m out walking on our hills here, I need to know right away if my heart is going too fast. I am glad I have the FitBit for the immediate feedback.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I already owned a FitBit Versa—in fact, FitBit notified me early last year that I was having irregular heartbeat, enrolled me in a study to help them develop an atrial fibrillation tracking capability, lent me a one-week heart monitor that led to my having heart surgery this past October. After my surgery, I was advised to get an Apple Watch to check for atrial fibrillation, and have been using my AW6 regularly (and I do love it for many reasons). I just completed cardiac rehab yesterday.

So here’s my question: I am resuming at-home exercise, but have to keep my pulse rate less than 115. I have found four different apps. one of them free, for my Versa, that will give me a buzz if I exceed a set heart rate. On my AW6, it appears the only way I can get a tachycardia alert is if I’ve been inactive for 10 minutes.

Is there an app for the AW that I can set up such an alert? For now, my only option appears to be to wear my AW on one wrist and my FitBit on another when I work out.
Glad to hear you are on your path to recovery.
Since you were advised to get the AW - maybe check with those guys?
I did a quick search on the App Store and found "Beat watcher" that might do what you want, but I would contact the developer too and get their feedback. I am not associated with them nor do I vouch for it.
Good luck

Reactions: ckuttner

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Really sorry if my answer offended you. I hope you'll find an AW app that offer real time alert
I apologize if I came across as offended—just disappointed that the app has the lack of immediate feedback. I do appreciate your response.

Reactions: wHD

antbob

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
There is no 3rd party app that can do that bc its not technically possible as Apple limits 3rd party apps background activity to preserve battery life and Apple unlikely to add such real-time detection themselves either again for the same power saving reasons. The way their sensors are designed is like having a led flash light constantly on so it would drain battery.

What I suggest you do is since you are doing your exercises you might as well start Apple Workout app on the watch and simply make it a habit to keep an eye on your heart rate. This is as close to continuous realtime measurement as you can get as it takes readings very often. I made it a habit for my intervals training and the good thing about it is it can also teach you, over time, to know what kinda range you are in instinctively even without looking.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
There is no 3rd party app that can do that bc its not technically possible as Apple limits 3rd party apps background activity to preserve battery life and Apple unlikely to add such real-time detection themselves either again for the same power saving reasons. The way their sensors are designed is like having a led flash light constantly on so it would drain battery.

What I suggest you do is since you are doing your exercises you might as well start Apple Workout app on the watch and simply make it a habit to keep an eye on your heart rate. This is as close to continuous realtime measurement as you can get as it takes readings very often. I made it a habit for my intervals training and the good thing about it is it can also teach you, over time, to know what kinda range you are in instinctively even without looking.
Thank you....that actually explains why I am not finding an app to do this. It’s interesting, I can keep the Heart Rate app open on my AW, and it takes maybe 30 seconds to recalculate, while my FitBit seems to keep a constant monitor, changes maybe every 15 seconds. And FitBit’s battery lasts 3-4 days. Oh, well, I will just use a different smartwatch on each wrist when I exercise.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Thank you....that actually explains why I am not finding an app to do this. It’s interesting, I can keep the Heart Rate app open on my AW, and it takes maybe 30 seconds to recalculate, while my FitBit seems to keep a constant monitor, changes maybe every 15 seconds. And FitBit’s battery lasts 3-4 days. Oh, well, I will just use a different smartwatch on each wrist when I exercise.
Please try out the AW Exercise app. I use the Other category for my outdoor walks so that I can get my exercise minutes counted without exceeding my recommended heart rate.

You will have a continuously updated heart rate reading right there in front of you on your AW.

Don’t use the Heart Rate app for this. Just use the exercise app.

Reactions: Aspasia

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Please try out the AW Exercise app. I use the Other category for my outdoor walks so that I can get my exercise minutes counted without exceeding my recommended heart rate.

You will have a continuously updated heart rate reading right there in front of you on your AW.

Don’t use the Heart Rate app for this. Just use the exercise app.
Thank you....I’m about to have my noon walk up my very steep hills in my neighborhood. I’ll use Exercise app and see how it goes.—-Oh, my, am I clueless? I don’t see the Exercise app on my AW, and can’t find it for download.

Last edited:

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Thank you....I’m about to have my noon walk up my very steep hills in my neighborhood. I’ll use Exercise app and see how it goes.—-Oh, my, am I clueless? I don’t see the Exercise app on my AW, and can’t find it for download.
Oh, sorry! It’s the Workout app. (Doing a workout helps close your Exercise ring.)

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Thank you! Just finished a hilly walk, got great display and alerts from my Versa ap, Vibrating HRZ. But next time, I’ll pull up Workout.

Reactions: artfossil

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Thank you....I’ll check it out. Wow....I looked over its listing on the App Store. The developer also made Autosleep, which is a wonderfully executed app. Likely worth the $3.99!

Last edited:

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Thank you...I'll give Workout a...well, workout. I have been using Heartwatch and it indeed picks up when my heart rate goes too high--but then it doesn't send me a notification until 20 minutes later or something like that. So far, my Versa is my best option.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
Heartwatch it is! It’s a bit complex to figure out, but the app’s help files and tech support got this going. Great app.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Heartwatch it is! It’s a bit complex to figure out, but the app’s help files and tech support got this going. Great app.
Were you able to get Heartwatch to notify you if your heart rate goes higher than the threshold you set?

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
The good news is that I have been able to set an alarm and limits. The better news is that my heart rate is not going high enough to trigger the alarm....I’m tempted to set it low enough that I can check.

Reactions: guinnessduck

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
More info: I got on my NordicTrack tonight, and within about a minute I got a buzz on my wrist: my pulse was 128, which had exceeded my the limit I set, 110. HeartWatch works well!

Agneev

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017
1 Infinite ∞
I feel that Apple should know of your situation as it could apply to many people and benefit them. Please do provide them feedback.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I feel that Apple should know of your situation as it could apply to many people and benefit them. Please do provide them feedback.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I’m not clear what you suggest I tell them, other than my good review Of the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.