Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueNoodle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
iMac 2011. Worked great until High Sierra. Now WiFi won't automatically connect after sleep (but I can live with that). More severe:
External USB hard drives start behaving strangely after a while ->
I will not be able to copy files to the drive (error -50)
I CAN copy from the drive
Can't eject drive (except with Force Eject)
Disk Utility lets me eject the partition/drive sometimes

After I Force Eject and insert another external drive (I use a dock), the drive will mount but partitions will show up as documents in the Finder and have the same name as the previously ejected drive. Trying to open it I get message "the original item can't be found". Again, Disk Utility shows the correct partition name and lets me eject.

Using Terminal I checked what process is using the affected disk, 'mds' came up but nothing else. 'mds' works for Spotlight (I have Spotlight prefs set to NOT index external drives).

So far the only way I found to get access to my external drives is to reboot.

Finally, when I start the computer in safe mode (with SHIFT key) external drives work normally.

Can this be a consequence of AFPS? None of my drives are updated to use AFPS because I sometimes need to exchange data with older Macs using a second dock. This iMac has a 2TB regular HD - so no AFPS there.

At the moment I am running tests on my 2012 Mac Book Pro which also has High Sierra to see if it has the same problem.

First time I wish I hadn't upgraded.
[doublepost=1515121960][/doublepost]Ok. So just did the same test on 2012 Mac Book Pro running latest version of High Sierra. Same problem!

I converted one of my external drives to AFPS and will check if that makes a difference.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would not recommend that you "convert" your external drives to APFS.
Others have tried this, and then have had nothing but trouble.
Leave them at HFS+ -- tried and true.

A Fishrrman "common sense" bit of advice.
You state that things were running well for you, BEFORE you attempted to upgrade to High Sierra.
Have you given any thought to "going back" to Low Sierra?
Do you really REALLY have-to-have "the latest and greatest"?
Even if it doesn't work?

Last edited:
Reactions: komatsu

BlueNoodle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
I actually converted one of the spare drives to APFS and if seems to help. Did two more drives this morning and problem went away. I guess data exchange with older Macs will have to be through WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.