Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Hi All,
I am considering upgrading my 2013 Macbook Pro (2.6 Quad Core, 16 RAM, ITB SSD, 750M 2Meg Video Card)) to High Sierra. I keep my Photos Library on an external 2TB SD over USB 3. My Photos Library is 1.1 TB and has over 100,000 photos. Everything is synced to iCloud and I keep multiple hard drive backups.

I'm hoping someone can answer these questions:

With over 100,000 photos in my Library, how long will it take to upgrade the library? What are some of your experiences? Last time I made any change to my system Library it literally took 5 days full time over a 125Mbps connection to finish syncing to iCloud.

I'm assuming it doesn't duplicate the library while upgrading so I won't need twice the space on that drive to upgrade. Can someone confirm?

I'm assuming after the upgrade I should convert the external SSD to APFS, anyone had issues with that? Should I do that before upgrading the photos library or after?

Once upgraded, does it convert existing videos to h.265 and photos to HEIF or is that only for new imports?

I understand Faces are transferred across devices now, did that take a while on your other devices? Did it have to do any new processing around faces?

Has anyone had any other problems related to upgrading a large photo library?

Thanks All, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.