Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciaranhmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hello there,

Been through a lot of different threads but I still can't really make up my mind.

Basically looking into a new setup, main editing platform will be an imac 27" top spec and will add the ram meself, and then I wanted something I could travel with but light enough, go on multiday expeditions, small(ish) size to fit anywhere, unload footage, do basic editing on some gigs abroad ( 4K, R3D, RAW #notsobasicafterall ), lightroom, photoshop etc...

Is the 13" not that great for any of that stuff? I was with someone on a gig in Pakistan who had the 15" and well I had the 2012 17" so it felt great, handling RED 8K files no bother, but I still wanted something around a 13". Most folks I know wouldn't even think of the 13" but saving 100g grams here and there is totally worth it for me. But still want something that can handle the work as I sometimes have to edit something on the ground.

If it's a case of sucking it up and carrying the 15" inch around then ok, but thought I'd ask now that we're half a year after the release of the latest macbook pro what people think of them. Especially the 13" if they use it for editing work.

BTW: What would a top spec macbook pro 17", 1to SSD + 750HD (replaced optical drive) be worth? Firewire port not working, but otherwise works pretty well, good condition etc..

Thanks for your opinions!!

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
The 13" has an integrated graphics card, and the 15" has a discrete card. I imagine that for video editing and the like, the improved processor and graphics capabilities will make a big difference. Both of the 2017 MBPs are highly portable, though. Maybe make your way to an Apple store or other retailer to feel the weight difference for yourself, so you can weight your own balance of portability vs. power.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Hello there,

Been through a lot of different threads but I still can't really make up my mind.

Basically looking into a new setup, main editing platform will be an imac 27" top spec and will add the ram meself, and then I wanted something I could travel with but light enough, go on multiday expeditions, small(ish) size to fit anywhere, unload footage, do basic editing on some gigs abroad ( 4K, R3D, RAW #notsobasicafterall ), lightroom, photoshop etc...

Is the 13" not that great for any of that stuff? I was with someone on a gig in Pakistan who had the 15" and well I had the 2012 17" so it felt great, handling RED 8K files no bother, but I still wanted something around a 13". Most folks I know wouldn't even think of the 13" but saving 100g grams here and there is totally worth it for me. But still want something that can handle the work as I sometimes have to edit something on the ground.

If it's a case of sucking it up and carrying the 15" inch around then ok, but thought I'd ask now that we're half a year after the release of the latest macbook pro what people think of them. Especially the 13" if they use it for editing work.

BTW: What would a top spec macbook pro 17", 1to SSD + 750HD (replaced optical drive) be worth? Firewire port not working, but otherwise works pretty well, good condition etc..

Thanks for your opinions!!

Based on what you are doing, I would definitely go with the maxed out 15" just for the better graphics capabilities.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If you can get to an apple store, bring in some Red 8K files to put on a 13-MBP and give it a go. You may want to have a list of topical conversation points while you wait for transcoding proxy and/or optimized files to complete!

Then, see how it works. I understand the appeal of size/weight, but first and foremost it needs to work.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
if you want light, the 12' inch would be a middle man between the air and the pro, because u can edit still..

The Macbook Pro really is the only ones for handling for video processing, but if your after small, then the 12' inch would be a good middle range. Forget the MBA, unless it IS very basic editing u need to do. (Just because there is no fan on the 12' i'm always worried it will shut down when exposed to a large amount of heat.)

Even thought processor runs cooler, that doesn't mean there is no heat... all chips heat up.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
8k red on-the 13 inch is asking too much of the igpu in there to be honest you want the 15 inch for that preferably with the 560 upgrade.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
So there might be a 13" with a quad core CPU on the horizon this year, if you can wait. Handling of HD contest is no issue at all, I do this all the time with mine. 4K if you go proxy, old school, should work as well. But ingest and converting to ProRes will take forever and depending on your output same same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.