Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
I found out(correct me if i'm wrong) that with my D40x need to get a high speed memory card in order to get the 3fps. Is that right? I'm going to the Red Bull Air Races next week to take pictures so i'd like to get a fast memory card so I can take the 3fps...Am I correct in all of this? Correct me if i'm not and if I am which memory cards would you guys say to get? I looked at newegg.com and would probably order one of those.
Thanks guys
Have a good day

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The camera has an internal memory buffer and can shoot 3fps with even an ultra low card. But,.... that beffer needs to get emptied by writting it out to the SD card and you can't put more images in the buffer until there is space in it. So a faster SC card lets you make more use of the 3FPS feature. But,... I don't think you can buy anything but a "fast" SD card any more. They are all high speed. In practice getting an ultra high speed premium card does not help much

Where you will notice the card's speed is when you downloadthe images from the card to the computer using an external card reader

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
The camera has an internal memory buffer and can shoot 3fps with even an ultra low card. But,.... that beffer needs to get emptied by writting it out to the SD card and you can't put more images in the buffer until there is space in it. So a faster SC card lets you make more use of the 3FPS feature. But,... I don't think you can buy anything but a "fast" SD card any more. They are all high speed. In practice getting an ultra high speed premium card does not help much

Where you will notice the card's speed is when you downloadthe images from the card to the computer using an external card reader
Ok. What was confusing me was when I look at all the different SD cards on neweggs website the specs showed different speeds for different SD cards. For example, there is a Lexar professional 1GB SD card with a speed of 133x. Where as there is a Sandisk extreme III 2 GB SD card with a speed of 20mb/Second. Thats were I was thinking that the Lexar for example with the 133x would mean that I can take continuous shoots (3 fps) for a longer period of time, because the other day I was taking pictures of airplanes landing at our airport and after about 10-12 shots all of a sudden I would have to wait for all of those to write to the memory card before I can take anymore...Bottom line, would a higher speed memory card prevent me from having to wait for all my 10-12 pictures to be written to the SD card before I can take more pics. Sorry if the above is confusing,lol. Hopefully you guys will understand what I'm trying to say. THANK YOU!

Spikeanator6982

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
umm..i dont know about your particular camera, but i know the canon rebel i own and the rebet xt/xti i have looked into buying has like say 1.5 fps and 10 continuous burst shot for my rebel. and the rebel xti has like 3fps and 27 or 30 continuous burst. So I would say..your camera has a "burst" limit and if your card can meet that then a faster card will only help with uploading to computer.

Jan 30, 2006
Don't spend more than necessary in the memory card. I have a D40x and I bought a San Disk SDHC 4GB, and it works perfectly. It can shoot continuously until the memory is full without stopping a second.

It cost me around $60-$70 and included a card reader. But really, any memory card would be good.

EDIT: The continuous shooting depends on many things. If you shoot in RAW, you won't get unlimited continuous shooting. And also, if it is very dark, it would get more time to focus.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
To update what I am talking about I did a test. I turned off auto focus and it is on JPEG FINE and is set on the Large setting (10mp) I just held down the shutter release and I got 10 photos and then it went down to about 1 pic a second maybe even alittle longer than 1 per second. When I purchased my camera (bought it at Ritz) I also bought a 3 pack of Ritz brand SD cards 1GB http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/1...-readers-storage;cimultimedia-sd-memory-cards
Could it be the poor/cheaper quility of those SD cards that are only letting me take 10pics at 3fps? I looked up my camera on dpreview and they report 3fps with noise reduction off(which I double checked and its off). Right below that it says Continuous buffer JEPG: Limited only by storage and RAW: Aprox 9 frames and then shooting continues but at a slower rate. I have double and triple checked I am not using RAW i'm using JEPEG Fine and for picture size Large(which is 10mp's)

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
So I bought a sandisk ultra 2gb SD card and it fixed my problem. It was the memory card that was not allowing my camera to take more than about 10 shots before it got bogged down. Thanks to all that helped above! Have a goodnight everyone.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
So I bought a sandisk ultra 2gb SD card and it fixed my problem. It was the memory card that was not allowing my camera to take more than about 10 shots before it got bogged down. Thanks to all that helped above! Have a goodnight everyone.

I use Ultra II SanDisk cards. They're fast enough to let the camera empty its buffer without worry but don't cost as much as the Supreamo-8 cards. (AKA Extreme III and Ultimate IV cards)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.