Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turluttu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Moscow
Apple PCIe SSD's. They are available in both AHCI and NVMe versions. AHCI drives are supported for boot with standard firmware. NVMe can be used for boot with modified firmware.
Thanks friend!
But I did not get an answer to my question(

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I will likely work from what I read, but I’ve never heard of HAT, and the Blackmagic Speed Test report being displayed has less than impressive write speeds. I would look for a top-tier brand and accompanying adapter. If you want to boot this SSD, you better contact the seller for more details. It may not be bootable in your system OOTB.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hello everyone, I need help.

Tell me please, will this SSD work with this PCI СARD?

Thank you all!
The page you linked to indicates the SSD will only work with a MacPro 6,1, not a 5,1 as you asked about in your thread tiltle.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 11.26.47 PM.png

Reactions: turluttu

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello everyone, I need help.

Tell me please, will this SSD work with this PCI СARD?

Thank you all!
Yes it'll work. weird combo, but will work.

It's normal M2 PCIe SSD mounted with a conector converter from standard to Apple.

The card that you linked is a adaptor from M2 PCIe Apple SSDs to PCIe slot, I have two of these cards.

If the SSD is a NVMe one, you will to do the NVMe inject in the BootROM.

turluttu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Moscow
Yes it'll work. weird combo, but will work.

It's normal M2 PCIe SSD mounted with a conector converter from standard to Apple.

The card that you linked is a adaptor from M2 PCIe Apple SSDs to PCIe slot, I have two of these cards.

If the SSD is a NVMe one, you will to do the NVMe inject in the BootROM.

Thank you all for your answers.

Which SSD and adapter you advise to work on this PCI СARD?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you all for your answers.

Which SSD and adapter you advise to work on this PCI СARD?

Apple SSUAX
Apple SSUBX

Forget that, you will pay double or triple of the going rate of a standard PCIe SSD and you will only found used ones. Makes ZERO financial sense to pay less than US$4 on the PCIE adaptor card and US$300+ on the 512GB SSD.

Last edited:

turluttu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Moscow
Apple SSUAX
Apple SSUBX

Forget that, you will pay double or triple of the going rate of a standard PCIe SSD and you will only found used ones. Makes ZERO financial sense to pay less than US$4 on the PCIE adaptor card and US$300+ on the 512GB SSD.

Thank you my friend!!

And what variant you will advise? without injection in the BootROM

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Samsung SM951-AHCI + PCIe adaptor card or Kingston Predator 480GB AHCI. But that's almost the same cost, 512GB/480GB for US$300+.

Intel released NVMe 660p 512GB for US$99, 1TB will be released later this quarter for US$199. If you don't know how to inject the NVMe DXE, I can do it for you.

Forget AHCI SSDs.

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134

turluttu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Moscow
Samsung SM951-AHCI + PCIe adaptor card or Kingston Predator 480GB AHCI. But that's almost the same cost, 512GB/480GB for US$300+.

Intel released NVMe 660p 512GB for US$99, 1TB will be released later this quarter for US$199. If you don't know how to inject the NVMe DXE, I can do it for you.

Forget AHCI SSDs.
Many thanks, but I do not want to flash BootROM.
Maybe Apple will add support to NVMe in MacPro5.1, we'll wait.

I think that a reasonable option is SSUAX/SSUBX.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Many thanks, but I do not want to flash BootROM.
Maybe Apple will add support to NVMe in MacPro5.1, we'll wait.

I think that a reasonable option is SSUAX/SSUBX.
If you really want the AHCI route, check for broken MacBooks Retina models late2013 to mid2015 and MacBook Air models mid2013 to 2017. Thats the usual source for used SSUAX/SSUBX drives.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.