Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
i just purchased a Hisense 55 inch 4K TV and I can’t get the Apple TV to accept that it has HDR. The model number of the TV is 55H6D. I think I covered all of the bases. Bought a Monster 2.0 HDMI cable made for 4k sets. I did a firmware upgrade on the TV when I first installed it. I turned on the 2.0 mode on the TV for the HDMI ports and I made sure to plug in to the HDMI ports that support 4K.

When I go on the Apple TV and try to turn on HDR the Apple TV does it test and I get a message on TV that I have a weak signal. Then some colorful images come up on screen and finally the Apple TV reports that HDR was not working and that I may need to change my color settings to get it to work....

Anything else I can try. I have new cables coming from Amazon tomorrow and will try them. Returning the Monster cable. $40 is nuts for a cable. I am also running the public beta of TV OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
I’ve tried a few different HDMI cables and still cannot get HDR to stick. I have enhanced HDMI turned on, tried changing the color settings. Etc. Nothing works.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
It sounds like you may be having the same problem that I had with my first 4k tv. It was from LG and supported the wide color gamut that HDR does, but it didn't support the brightness control metadata or go to 1000 lumens. So, even though a tv supports wide color that has to be turned on in the settings, it may not be fully HDR capable.

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
It sounds like you may be having the same problem that I had with my first 4k tv. It was from LG and supported the wide color gamut that HDR does, but it didn't support the brightness control metadata or go to 1000 lumens. So, even though a tv supports wide color that has to be turned on in the settings, it may not be fully HDR capable.
If that is the reason does that mean I won’t be able to get it to work?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I have a hisense tv and got the update for HDR , turned 2.0 on

And works fine , Apple TV detects HDR

I’m using an amazonbasics hdmi cable, the latest one

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
I have a hisense tv and got the update for HDR , turned 2.0 on

And works fine , Apple TV detects HDR

I’m using an amazonbasics hdmi cable, the latest one
I ordered a Roku Premiere+ which arrived today. Will be interested to see if HDR works.

sukidabe

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
i just purchased a Hisense 55 inch 4K TV and I can’t get the Apple TV to accept that it has HDR. The model number of the TV is 55H6D. I think I covered all of the bases. Bought a Monster 2.0 HDMI cable made for 4k sets. I did a firmware upgrade on the TV when I first installed it. I turned on the 2.0 mode on the TV for the HDMI ports and I made sure to plug in to the HDMI ports that support 4K.

When I go on the Apple TV and try to turn on HDR the Apple TV does it test and I get a message on TV that I have a weak signal. Then some colorful images come up on screen and finally the Apple TV reports that HDR was not working and that I may need to change my color settings to get it to work....

Anything else I can try. I have new cables coming from Amazon tomorrow and will try them. Returning the Monster cable. $40 is nuts for a cable. I am also running the public beta of TV OS.

Double check with your owners manual. The 6 in the model number seems to indicate a 1080p tv. the hisence 4k tvs have a 7 or 8 in its place. If it supports HDR, then you'll need to output the atv to 1080. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
It’s a 4K TV. I get 4K content fine. Just not HDR. Soon I will know if it’s just an Apple TV issue.

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
So I hooked up the Roku Premier+ and it connected to TV fine... 4k at 60 FPS and 4K HDR at 30 FPS.
Now how to get Apple TV to see the HDR... do I set it manually at 30 FPS?

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
So I hooked up the Roku Premier+ and it connected to TV fine... 4k at 60 FPS and 4K HDR at 30 FPS.
Now how to get Apple TV to see the HDR... do I set it manually at 30 FPS?

I would say that your TV only supports HDR in 30fps. The Apple TV should automatically set it to that when you connect it, but you can also set it manually in the video settings menu.

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
Thanks, I will give that a shot and report back. I am Apple all of way but the Roku Preimier has its merits. Connected and tuned to HDR instantly. Shame I can’t get to my iTunes movies with it.
[doublepost=1507860219][/doublepost]HDR is working with the setting at 30fps but everyth8ng gas a darker look to it. Is this normal? It’s not horrible and maybe I am not used to it?

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Thanks, I will give that a shot and report back. I am Apple all of way but the Roku Preimier has its merits. Connected and tuned to HDR instantly. Shame I can’t get to my iTunes movies with it.
[doublepost=1507860219][/doublepost]HDR is working with the setting at 30fps but everyth8ng gas a darker look to it. Is this normal? It’s not horrible and maybe I am not used to it?

It's normal. The newer more expensive tv's have better panels. Anyway, make sure your tv is in movie mode, backlight and contrast should be maxed.

Paul H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
I did change the mode and it does look much better. Tried watching football last night but it looked grainy and not good. Not sure if it was NBC’s issue though since I was streaming it.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I did change the mode and it does look much better. Tried watching football last night but it looked grainy and not good. Not sure if it was NBC’s issue though since I was streaming it.

Like tj stated, the Apple tv has to be in your HDMI 2.0 input. Heck, I even spent the 30 bucks to get the Belkin cable @ the Apple store just avoid any possible problems.
your tv supports HDR@60Hz 10 panel so switch it there on the Roku and it should work

mano911

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2017
Like tj stated, the Apple tv has to be in your HDMI 2.0 input. Heck, I even spent the 30 bucks to get the Belkin cable @ the Apple store just avoid any possible problems.
your tv supports HDR@60Hz 10 panel so switch it there on the Roku and it should work

You guys are amazing! That's the answer! On my hisense TV, HDMI ports 3 and 4 are HDMI 2.0. You might be plugging your Apple TV into HDMI port 1 or 2. They're on the side, and easier to reach, but they're not HDMI 2.0, and don't support 4K. Give it a shot. As soon as i plugged it into the right port, the Apple TV switched to 4K HDR 60 hz.

MixmanDan

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018

[doublepost=1538633125][/doublepost]Apple TV supports Dolby Vision which is like a really high-end version of HDR. I tried it on my 4K TV that has HDR - no go... if your telly has Dolby Vision you'll have success.
You'll need to dig deep to get a nice huge TV with Dolby Vision.
While I'm on the subject of Apple TV and Dolby.. I've never got to get ATMOS to work properly - all I get lobbing the ATMOS sound at the Apple TV 4K is multi-channel PCM output which drops the front height channels in my 7.2.4 setup - it does not even display Dolby ATMOS on my anp either.. just PCM which is otherwise Dolby MAT 2.0 which is a transcode, and not full proper ATMOS. The object based sounds appear to be off - if I'd wanted that I'd have brought an Onyko.

Generally I've been an Apple fan ad devotee of all their kit but on the home streaming front am going to go with either an Android box like the Shield or go all out and get a Zappiti.

Apple TV does not support .MKV (Matroska) video container files so apps like Plex have to stream it, transcode it and push the audio and video to your TV and sound system - all of which affects sound unless you are streaming from Netflix and the like.. to that end mine is going back to JB HiFi... sad but hey I'm fed up of 10 minutes of transcoding before a movie starts and it then manages to play 2 minutes then starts transcoding.. affecting the audio too.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
While I'm on the subject of Apple TV and Dolby.. I've never got to get ATMOS to work properly - all I get lobbing the ATMOS sound at the Apple TV 4K is multi-channel PCM output which drops the front height channels in my 7.2.4 setup - it does not even display Dolby ATMOS on my anp either.. just PCM which is otherwise Dolby MAT 2.0 which is a transcode, and not full proper ATMOS. The object based sounds appear to be off - if I'd wanted that I'd have brought an Onyko.
Although I have no tech insight into workings of Dolby MAT, I would say it is a decode, not transcode. Any compressed audio ends up being a PCM before final amplifier stage.
It appears some early Atmos AVRs do not really handle MAT. Later models have no issues.
Apple TV does not support .MKV (Matroska) video container files so apps like Plex have to stream it, transcode it and push the audio and video to your TV and sound system - all of which affects sound unless you are streaming from Netflix and the like.. to that end mine is going back to JB HiFi... sad but hey I'm fed up of 10 minutes of transcoding before a movie starts and it then manages to play 2 minutes then starts transcoding.. affecting the audio too.
In 90% of the cases (even 100% for UHD movies), the MKV container still contains AVC/HEVC video, that does not need any transcoding, just rewrap into MP4 container to make aTV like it. It is a one-off endeavour and as fast as a file copying goes.
Lossless multichannel audio is unfortunately not supported in MP4 container, that is true. And currently there is no way for the average consumer to transform a TrueHD Atmos track into DD+ Atmos track, so no ways around that.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
[doublepost=1538633125][/doublepost]Apple TV supports Dolby Vision which is like a really high-end version of HDR. I tried it on my 4K TV that has HDR - no go... if your telly has Dolby Vision you'll have success.
You'll need to dig deep to get a nice huge TV with Dolby Vision.

Generally I've been an Apple fan ad devotee of all their kit but on the home streaming front am going to go with either an Android box like the Shield or go all out and get a Zappiti.

Plex streams MKV files instantly to my AppleTV. I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro as my media server, so it's not like it's a powerhouse at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.