Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
My wired earbuds' mic can be cupped inside the hand to shield it a bit from ambient noise, and kept closer to my mouth to make it pick my voice up better even if I'm just whispering.
I'm wondering: can something similar be done with one airpod as a mic, while the other one remains in the ear?

en0x

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
I believe you can change in settings which airpod will act as microphone during call... so maybe it would work?

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
My fear is that, since the airpods are so smart, they might turn off once removed from the ear or whatever. So any actual test would be welcome...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
My fear is that, since the airpods are so smart, they might turn off once removed from the ear or whatever. So any actual test would be welcome...
If you cover the in ear sensor with your finger, music, for example, will keep playing as if it were never removed from the ear. Haven’t tried with a call yet.

Reactions: mijail

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
If you cover the in ear sensor with your finger, music, for example, will keep playing as if it were never removed from the ear. Haven’t tried with a call yet.
For reference, I tried the Jabra Elite 75t, and though they seem to have some sensor to detect when you pop out one of them, they actually start playing again when they just get closer than about 20 cm from each other (I wonder how do they do that, must be some BT magic).

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
My UPS guy uses one AP while working. He can hear, and better yet, apparently the people on the other end hear him without issue. He’s gone thru all kinds of headsets and said these are the only ones that have worked. I don’t talk to him on the phone anymore - but I can attest that even the highest rated Jabra’s I had ordered for him still had truck/wind noise When on the other end.

Reactions: mijail

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Now that I have my own Airpods Pro, I can answer myself:

Yes, this can be done: configure the Airpods to use the mic of the side you're keeping in your hand, and cup it / grab it in such a way that the sensors think it's inserted in the ear, while keeping open the microphone side.

However, the result is so finicky that I don't see myself doing it again unless I'm really desperate - and then I'd have to get some good practice with it first. It's for sure much harder and more unreliable than just grabbing the wired mic and putting it near your mouth.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
My wired earbuds' mic can be cupped inside the hand to shield it a bit from ambient noise, and kept closer to my mouth to make it pick my voice up better even if I'm just whispering.
I'm wondering: can something similar be done with one airpod as a mic, while the other one remains in the ear?
This is the best method from experience... 1. Turn off ear detection 2. Set one air pod to be mic ..

Do not enable transparency you’ll get feedback

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.