Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M_W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
USA
I've had my LifeProof fre for my iPhone 5S for just a few days. I reinstalled it today to get rid of some dust under the screen from when I first put it on, it took about 20 minutes to get it perfect. I was looking over it and noticed that on the bottom speaker cover, the grey covering looks like it's been worn off a bit and a little bit of the black mesh is visible. I'm not sure if this is normal, or if it would allow water to leak it. I would just do a water test but I don't want to go through another reinstall.

Is it just normal wear, or do I really have a hole in my brand new case?

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Did you actually look at the article you just posted? There is no iPhone in that case in the sink. AGAIN, Life Proof provides the instructions and now a filler unit to test the case for leakage.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/instructions.html

Feel free to watch any of the videos to the end. They DO NOT have the phone in the case during a water test.

M_W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
USA
I guess I'll just go and do another water test. Only way I'll be able to rest easy. Does anyone know how thick the speaker cover is?

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Did you actually look at the article you just posted? There is no iPhone in that case in the sink. AGAIN, Life Proof provides the instructions and now a filler unit to test the case for leakage.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/instructions.html

Feel free to watch any of the videos to the end. They DO NOT have the phone in the case during a water test.
Chill. Life can be easier. Read my updated post #5 once again.
Feel free to watch any videos that test the case w/ an iPhone in it. Like this one.

M_W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
USA
Here's a picture if it would help:

129585181983988681%253Faccount_id%253D1

[doublepost=1471384808][/doublepost]Does anyone else's look like this? I can't image that anything would have punctured it.

Would anyone happen to know how thick the cover is?
[doublepost=1471385289][/doublepost]Is the grey stuff all that's covering it? It's definitely worn off some, maybe it's just for looks?

If someone has an old case laying around and could provide an image of the speaker cover from inside the case that would really help.

M_W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
USA
I would contact LifeProof to ask about it but I don't want to take the case off to get the serial number. If someone knew how thick the speaker covering was and could provide an image of the inside of the case, that would really help.

Last edited:

M_W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
USA
Well I opened the case and sure enough there is a spot where they grey has completely worn off and you can see right through it. Doing another water test...

Still don't know if this is normal or not. Even if it does pass this test, who's to say that the rest of it won't wear out like that?
[doublepost=1471404016][/doublepost]It leaked a few drops, nothing major, but still. It's not waterproof anymore. Will be contacting LifeProof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.