Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I recently got a Holga 120N and I've just got my first few rolls back from the developers. In general I quite like the pics but I'm not sure about the levels of distortion I'm getting as there is quite a lot at the bottom and not much at the top so I think they look a bit unbalanced.

I know this might not be to everyones tastes but here goes:

Theres a few more here if anyone is interested:

Holga Adventures

What do you guys think? Keep it or stick it on ebay??:D

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
...but I'm not sure about the levels of distortion I'm getting as there is quite a lot at the bottom and not much at the top so I think they look a bit unbalanced.

You don't quite get Holgas then. Cheap plastics optics aren't going to be even in any way. It's all part of the charm...

EDIT: Great photos BTW...

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
You don't quite get Holgas then. Cheap plastics optics aren't going to be even in any way. It's all part of the charm...

I suppose i was asking a lot for the distorsion to be even. The images are growing on me but I'm not sure it works in all of them, maybe I just need to learn more about what kind of images suite the Holga style

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I suppose i was asking a lot for the distorsion to be even. The images are growing on me but I'm not sure it works in all of them, maybe I just need to learn more about what kind of images suite the Holga style

Have you checked out Lomography.com?

There's loads of galleries for all the different type of cameras they do...

EDIT: gallery

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I wish my first roll came back like that. :eek:

Same here.

I've found some old Holga images of mine:
holgadx1.jpg

railtrucksm.jpg

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Same here.

I've found some old Holga images of mine:
holgadx1.jpg

railtrucksm.jpg

I really like the 1st one, very cool.

I had a brief look at lomography.com before I got my Holga but it was actually just from looking through flickr that made me want to get one, I think theres much better images there

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
If you want even distortion on landscapes, maybe a large format (?) would do you better.

My favorite is the first... maybe the second. I just don't like the distortion on the landscapes.

Good work!

zuma022

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
I love my Holga! The imperfections are what makes the images. Great first roll!
Here's a few of mine:

2294545413_d3cb8d2821.jpg

2095167883_9738674400.jpg

2594272764_ff00d9bfd0.jpg

And one of the greatest things to do with a Holga, sprocket hole photography:

2518987188_c56be6c575.jpg

2518988278_fd243b5af7.jpg

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Wow theres some really cool pictures there! Maybe we should start a Holga thread in the picture gallery or everyone to show off their shots, what you think?

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Wow theres some really cool pictures there! Maybe we should start a Holga thread in the picture gallery or everyone to show off their shots, what you think?

I'm sure there's already a lomography thread floating around somewhere... do a search!

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
I don't care for the double-exposure, but I like the distorted photos. Different strokes, right?

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure what you mean by different strokes, I'm still new to this Holga stuff ::p

Sorry, it's from the expression "different strokes for different folks", meaning that we each have different things that make us happy. Nothing to do with cameras. :)

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
The colours in these two are fentastic! I kinda want to try a holgaroid but the kit seems really pricey, and then theres the film...

Sorry, it's from the expression "different strokes for different folks", meaning that we each have different things that make us happy. Nothing to do with cameras. :)

Have to say I've never heard that before, have to remember that for next time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.