Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy

Notice anything?

I'm moving Maps icon from grid cell 1 to grid cell 3. Notice what the Weather icon does? It behaves like it's iOS 17 and older. Why doesn't it stay where it is, which is grid cell 2 🤬

I really hope it's just a Beta 1 thing and that the future betas will change this behavior.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2021
It is definitely a little buggy in placement and movement. I kept trying to resize a widget in control center and it looked like it worked but then it would either disappear or snap down to a new page every time. I can also long press on empty space and get the contextual menu for icons in other spaces. It's just weird.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I thought it was like all icons are in an auto align thing, and as you take each one out and place them, the ones not taken out of the original auto align function, shift?

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
I submitted some feedback about also being able to place 2x2 widgets in the middle of the grid. You guys should submit for that too. They’ll still be making design changes with the first few betas so it’s good to get that feedback in now.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Installed iOS 18 today and I’m seeing the same behavior. How did they mess up something so basic?

Reactions: !!!

NeoSe7en

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2017
Control Center sorting does this crap as well. I don’t know how they shipped this.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Moving icons around seems very unresolved. With a lot of fudging they can be put where I want, but I have to really think about doing any slight adjustment or they will bounce all around. Not an exercise for the impatient.

Me trying to move app icons around:

"Stop doing that"
"No, I don't want to put them in a folder"
"Why the F did that happen?"
"Just stay there"
"Well, that was stupid"

• Haha
Reactions: Macbookey and !!!

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Moving icons around seems very unresolved. With a lot of fudging they can be put where I want, but I have to really think about doing any slight adjustment or they will bounce all around. Not an exercise for the impatient.

Me trying to move app icons around:

"Stop doing that"
"No, I don't want to put them in a folder"
"Why the F did that happen?"
"Just stay there"
"Well, that was stupid"

Not sure how that made it through all the beta testing, there had to have been feedback on it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I deleted an app yesterday expecting the "hole" to remain since supposedly iOS 18 fixed icon placement.

Nope, everything below that reflowed like it used to. I had to manually move everything back where I wanted it.

Not sure why they half-assed this.

Reactions: !!!

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
This is laughably bad. Also, why can’t a widget occupy the middle two columns?

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
It looks to me like Apple invented some lazy solution of making fake placeholder icons, rather than a grid where you can place icons on (like how android does it).

It's crazy, this is from a company that almost started out by letting you place files/folders wherever and remembering that. Maybe Timmy could look into the archives, find the source code for Mac OS 9 finder, and use that for their latest iOS drip-feed feature.

Reactions: trusso

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Icons in macOS are rearrangeable in any grid cell, freely and fully independently, without affecting surrounding icons.

Don't understand why iOS can't have the same grid freedom and flexibility. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: redbeard331

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I see no change with the icons and screens from 17 myself.

Why can't they just let us have a denser grid with more icons....

I honestly see nothing different about 18 for customizing the screen.

Reactions: redbeard331

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I just had another round of trying to move icons to certain positions on my iPad. This is not just a bug, the process is broken. Report filed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.