Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
I’ve recently purchased a Logitech Circle View.

Set up and basic streaming all went well.

However, HomeKit Secure Video (HKSV) basically doesn’t work or is so unreliable that it’s basically useless for its intended purpose (security).

Motion recordings and notifications only work sometimes, but I usually have to restart one of my home hubs (whichever’s connected) to get it to work for a few hours.

Annoyingly, there’s no indication that it has stopped recording motion (the status light stays the same colour), so I need to go outside and wave at it to check if it’s still working.

Is anybody else having similar issues, and have they found a solution (that lasts longer that a few hours)?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I have had a Circle View doorbell installed in my home for 5 months.

It sounds like you may be expecting that it will record continuously, however it only will record once motion is detected.

You could try a factory reset of the doorbell. See the following article on the Logitech website:

Reactions: tisabmw

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
It’s the outdoor security camera I have, not the doorbell.

I just expect it to record when there’s motion, which it does sometimes, but it’s very unreliable.

I have fast broadband and a mesh network. The camera has an “excellent” connection. All non-HKSV smart devises work perfectly, as does the Logitech cameras non-HKSV functions.

After a time, the camera stops recording when there’s motion, and the notifications stop also. I usually have to restart the home hub to get it working again. Doing that three times a day and not knowing if it’s working in between isn’t viable

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
I have the original HomePod, 2 x HomePod minis, and an Apple TV. The connected hub swaps around

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I noticed that when my Home Hubs play musical chairs for no apparent reason, my whole HomeKit setup gets wonky for a good twenty or so minutes. Wonder if you’re getting these issues during a home hub switch.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Not sure, but just checked and it is currently my HomePod mini, left speaker of a stereo pair in the living room so will keep an eye on it.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
I’ve had the issue using all hubs, it’s not limited to any particular one

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I am now having the exact same issue with just one of my Logitech Circle View cameras. It stays online for an hour or so then goes off. It’s done it a few times today and is still offline. All my other cameras are fine.

Edit: it may be my wireless access point this camera connects to. I turned off the WAP and then back on again and the camera reconnected. Will see what happens…

Last edited:

ajergome

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2022
@Someirishguy @StumpyBloke did you ever resolve this? I have exactly the same behavior, I had really hoped that the tvOS update would have fixed it. It will randomly stop noticing motion events or recording them. I have my AppleTV on a smart power outlet and I jump into that app, power cycle the plug that AppleTV is connected to, and it then begins to work again once the AppleTV restarts. I also have HomePod minis, but I never have to touch them, 100% of the time when the problem happens, power cycling the AppleTV fixes it. As another data point, I actually had a second AppleTV connected for a while, but it was the previous generation before the 4k. Whenever it was the Hub, the Logitech cam (mine is the circle doorbell cam) would actually totally become unresponsive and would require power cycling or fully resetting itself. This makes HKSV totally useless. I'm going to try a different brand camera as well and see whether it continues to detect motion and record when the Logitech has stopped. Would love to hear what your experiences have been since February

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
So far the cameras are reasonably stable. They all very randomly say disconnected but reconnect again within seconds…and doesn’t happen too often.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
did you ever resolve this?
The problem has resolved, but not due to anything that I did. The same issue continued for about 3 months, then the problem changed to the camera always detecting motion and always notifying/recording (equally useless - as getting notifications every minute makes you turn off notifications). Then, one day, a couple of months ago, it started working properly. There are still random disconnects/reconnects, but it’s only a minor inconvenience. I do get nervous when updating the hubs…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.