Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
Hi,

Just wanted to make note that the HomePod will allow Apple Developer iOS versions to be installed. If you’re an Apple Developer, just log into the Developer website using your iPhone or whatever iOS device you use to manage your HomePod. In the downloads section, add the iOS OTA Configuration profile for the latest iOS version (even if you already have the config profile installed on your current device).

You will be asked if you want to install that profile to the HomePod, and after doing so you should be all set. The profile will be listed in the new “Profiles & Device Management” section of the HomePod’s settings (in the Home app), and updates are managed from the Home’s (Location) settings within the Home app.

There currently aren’t any new updates, but I imagine we'll be given the opportunity to install / test the new betas as they become available. I unplugged my HomePod after installing the configuration profile, to make sure that it was applied, and also rebooted my phone to see if doing so might allow me to see new updates, but no dice so far. I imagine they’ll release an update soon.

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Reactions: DerMario

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd rather wait for apple to roll out updates and not do a beta, i.e., risking bricking the speaker.

Reactions: jacklivehere

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
I'd rather wait for apple to roll out updates and not do a beta, i.e., risking bricking the speaker.

Definitely understand the concern. Especially considering that the next update will be the first update, and they may have made coding mistakes in the update process. But I think that would be an easy replacement.

Last edited:

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
Definitely going to see something soon - or before June at the Developers conference or it wouldn't have a provisioning profile. They may even push updates like the AirPods.

Reactions: prasand

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
Anyone who installed the iOS OTA Configuration profile for HomePod will need to remove it in order to be able to update the HomePod to iOS 11.3. I have no idea why the HomePod isn't seeing the update with the configuration profile installed, but I imagine there are kinks to work out with that.

After you remove the configuration profile, when you go to the section of the Home app to update the HomePod, it might require that you check for an update twice. The first time I checked for an update it said that my HomePod was already using the latest version, but then I refreshed the page (by dragging down on the page), and then it detected the 11.3 update on the second try.

I'll try the Configuration profile again when the next betas begin rolling out, to see what happens (to see if the configuration profile works correctly at that point), and will update this thread accordingly. But for now, keep the beta configuration profile off the HomePod.

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
I just installed the Developer version of iOS 11.4, and reinstalled the Configuration profile onto the HomePod, to see if there was an 11.4 Beta update for the HomePod. However, no dice. Initially it just searched for an update and didn't give the usual already up to date message, so I thought that was promising ... however it just continued to search for an update for 10 minutes. Then I rebooted the iPhone, and tried again. This time it said it was already up to date @ 11.3. I tried refreshing it a few times, unplugged the HomePod, disabled the auto update and tried again ... still no dice.

I'll keep the Configuration Profile installed, and will update this thread if there are any changes.

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
Subscribed. I've got 3 homepods and im really wanting to mess around with airplay 2

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014

As far as I’m aware, there is no way to reset or reinstall iOS if the system software stops functioning for whatever reason, since there is no USB port. So I wouldn’t install beta software on the thing unless you have a genuine reason to.

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
As far as I’m aware, there is no way to reset or reinstall iOS if the system software stops functioning for whatever reason, since there is no USB port. So I wouldn’t install beta software on the thing unless you have a genuine reason to.

That's reasonable.

I perceive that you're addressing non-developers, who might try to install it anyway through other means. For iOS developers, if they released a developer version for HomePod there's genuine reason to upgrade. And for developers covered by agreement, bricking is a non-factor aside the effort of having their HomePod replaced.

Considerations were made when Apple deliberately did the coding work necessary to combine the developer configuration profile for HomePod with the iPhone's. The presentation of the HomePod's config profile didn't already exist in iOS, so it took additional effort and considerations. But they wanted developers to have easy access to it, and every new developer with a HomePod would see the prompt. So I see no cause for concern, as even without a developer agreement betas do not invalidate the Apple warranty. It's just a matter of effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerMSTR

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Why do people expect the iOS Profile to even work? There is absolutely no inidication, like zero pointing towards the iOS profile to be relevant for the HomePod. If there will ever be developer updates for the HomePod it will most likely have its own AudioOS profile just like the Apple TV has its own tvOS profile and the Apple Watch has its own watchOS profile.

I doubt we'll see any developer beta's for the HomePod as there is really no point in having any. There is no software developer kits or anything for the HomePod/AudioOS so what exactly would developers need preview builds for? As its such a locked-down device without any clear way of restoring or downgrading from faulty updates I don't see why Apple would release pre-released software for it.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
If the profile does not say “AudioOS Beta Software Profile”, you got the wrong one.
If you do have one via an NDA, you can’t say anything.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
The iOS profile is not for the HomePod...
The HomePod runs audioOS like the Apple TV runs tvOS
Apple is likely not going to release any betas before the WWDC just like for the original Apple Watch.

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
Why do people expect the iOS Profile to even work? There is absolutely no inidication, like zero pointing towards the iOS profile to be relevant for the HomePod.

The iOS profile is not for the HomePod

When installing the iOS Developer Configuration profile, it specifically asks if you would like to install it for the HomePod or the iPhone. If you install it for the HomePod, a new section appears in the HomePod's settings. So what you both are saying is speculation. The fact is, the iOS configuration profile was re-designed to work with the HomePod. This cannot be done with other OS' config profiles, nor does such an option exist. If the "audioOS Configuration Profile" theory was true, there wouldn't be a need to code the special case UI elements (they even coded a situation for multiple HomePods, which I was prompted to choose which HomePod I wanted to install it on). That's a lot of additional coding for a config profile that's not supposed to work for that device. It would have been simpler to just keep the config profiles separate. This was done deliberately by Apple (I assume they did it for convenience).

Now, whether there will be betas prior to WWDC, remains to be seen, and you might be correct (in that there will not be any prior to that). But it's fact that the iOS Configuration profile applies to / works with the HomePod and was specifically re-designed to accommodate the HomePod.

Here's screenshots / proof of its relevance:

Last edited:

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
That works just fine, but it doesnt do anything. I can install the watchOS profile on iOS and my HomePod as well. Same with tvOS. They can all be installed cross the operating systems.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I see. Just curious, have you ever tried installing a profile on another device? I mean, like when getting the iOS prompt, installing that on the Apple Watch.
Yes. The only noticeable effect seems to be preventing software updates on that device.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yes. The only noticeable effect seems to be preventing software updates on that device.
This is correct. The prompt is generic. Do not install the wrong device profile on to the wrong device - all you will do is prevent future updates.

You are going to need an audioOS profile for the HomePod.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
When installing the iOS Developer Configuration profile, it specifically asks if you would like to install it for the HomePod or the iPhone. If you install it for the HomePod, a new section appears in the HomePod's settings. So what you both are saying is speculation. The fact is, the iOS configuration profile was re-designed to work with the HomePod. This cannot be done with other OS' config profiles, nor does such an option exist. If the "audioOS Configuration Profile" theory was true, there wouldn't be a need to code the special case UI elements (they even coded a situation for multiple HomePods, which I was prompted to choose which HomePod I wanted to install it on). That's a lot of additional coding for a config profile that's not supposed to work for that device. It would have been simpler to just keep the config profiles separate. This was done deliberately by Apple (I assume they did it for convenience).

Now, whether there will be betas prior to WWDC, remains to be seen, and you might be correct (in that there will not be any prior to that). But it's fact that the iOS Configuration profile applies to / works with the HomePod and was specifically re-designed to accommodate the HomePod.

Here's screenshots / proof of its relevance:

o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.