Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
My tv is hooked up to my Yamaha receiver and I use two separate speakers and a centre channel instead of the tv speakers. My question is can you use 2 HomePod Mini speakers as rear speakers with Apple TV and have all work at the same time or do you have to choose where the sound comes from either the tv speakers or HomePod Minis?

I am not able to use wired speakers as rear speakers so I am looking for an alternative.

unapologeticallyplastic

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
My tv is hooked up to my Yamaha receiver and I use two separate speakers and a centre channel instead of the tv speakers. My question is can you use 2 HomePod Mini speakers as rear speakers with Apple TV and have all work at the same time or do you have to choose where the sound comes from either the tv speakers or HomePod Minis?

I am not able to use wired speakers as rear speakers so I am looking for an alternative.
If you can somehow add Airplay 2 functionality to the Yamaha receiver (maybe through a second hand AirPort Express), you should be able to select multiple audio output on the Apple TV and get audio out of all speakers (including HomePod mini). Please note that you will not be able to get proper surround sound output from such a setup.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you didn't have an amp already I'd suggest sonos, get one of their sound bars, and a pair of speakers for the surrounds. Ikea has speakers for $99 that work fine for surrounds.

you can also look at something like this, I used one for a while, and it worked OK. It is a tiny bit slow though, so if your amp has a microphone to tune your room, it'll say the speakers are further away than they really are, since the amp will think they delay happened from the speaker to the mic, instead of between the amp and the speaker.
I purchased this one 4 years ago, and haven't used it in a couple, there might be better options now.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
This would be super cool but I have no idea what the technical limitations or possibilities are for it.

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
I did make this work, its not true surround sound but it does balance the room nice with sound now. I used Airplay with my Homepod Mini's (put them on speaker stands) and used my receiver with a centre channel and front speakers. My sound on the Mini's was out of sync, so I calibrated it and everything sounds good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.