Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James2McGill3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
When homepod 2018 when out there was some devices compatibles than now dosent appear in apple compatibility website (devices with ios 13.7 or ios 12.4.8)
Does means that if i buy a homepod mini this year i'm only gonna be able to use homepod mini until ios is released? Apple says that homepod works with more recently products (only who has ios 14). Does mi ipad mini 2 or my father's 5s will work with home pod compatibility? And with a 2018 homepod?

put this in ios cause i may only can use a homepod mini with ios 14, and there was not a subforums about homepod ( i didnt find it)

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
When homepod 2018 when out there was some devices compatibles than now dosent appear in apple compatibility website (devices with ios 13.7 or ios 12.4.8)
Does means that if i buy a homepod mini this year i'm only gonna be able to use homepod mini until ios is released? Apple says that homepod works with more recently products (only who has ios 14). Does mi ipad mini 2 or my father's 5s will work with home pod compatibility? And with a 2018 homepod?

put this in ios cause i may only can use a homepod mini with ios 14, and there was not a subforums about homepod ( i didnt find it)

As per Apple's newsroom website, which specifies which iOS version, as the HomePod Mini just says latest iOS version..

HomePod mini is compatible with iPhone SE, iPhone 6s or later, or iPod touch (7th generation) running iOS 14; or iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2 or later, or iPad mini 4 or later running iPadOS 14.

Apple's HomePod Mini page on their website

Apple's Press release for HomePod Mini

It appears to be the same as the 2018 HomePod. I assume that will support iOS 13.4 or above, until that HomePod is updated to the 14.1 software update for HomePods that will come out soon (likely 13th November with the HomePod Mini's release)

James2McGill3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
@Ansath It appears to be the same as the 2018 HomePod. I assume that will support iOS 13.4 or above, until that HomePod is updated to the 14.1 software update for HomePods that will come out soon (likely 13th November with the HomePod Mini's release)
[/QUOTE]

So you think that next year i'gonna be able of use the homepod mini with Iphone SE?

James2McGill3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
And when omepod updates with device with ios15, will still be useful?
if i buy and original homepod will work wil ipad mini 2 (12.4.8) cause when was released Ipad mini 2 was in the list of compaitble devices, but now dosen't appear.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
I could be waaaaay wrong here, but my logic tells me that if ANY iOS device has the HOME app.....then it will work with whatever functions were available for that device iOS version.....if an older iOS device (that has the HOME app) gets to a point that it cant take the latest iOS update (whatever number it is) I assume the functions that it had upto that point would still work? Only the new functions introduced in the newer iOS update might not work on the older device

That is my logic anyway.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I could be waaaaay wrong here, but my logic tells me that if ANY iOS device has the HOME app.....then it will work with whatever functions were available for that device iOS version.....if an older iOS device (that has the HOME app) gets to a point that it cant take the latest iOS update (whatever number it is) I assume the functions that it had upto that point would still work? Only the new functions introduced in the newer iOS update might not work on the older device

That is my logic anyway.

Apple’s website specifies the HomePod Mini only works with devices using iOS 14.....

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
And when omepod updates with device with ios15, will still be useful?
if i buy and original homepod will work wil ipad mini 2 (12.4.8) cause when was released Ipad mini 2 was in the list of compaitble devices, but now dosen't appear.

The list of compatible devices is based on the current HomePod OS. This is why the iPad Mini 2 isn’t in the list anymore.

You can probably airplay to it from older devices, but controlling it otherwise, will not be possible, I assume.

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Apple’s website specifies the HomePod Mini only works with devices using iOS 14.....

That is what I am getting at.....if an older iOS device cant take iOS 14, but it has the HOME app, then the older device will still work with whatever it used to do.....but it will not be able to do whatever new things are introduced with iOS 14....including new hardware like the HomePod mini.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
That is what I am getting at.....if an older iOS device cant take iOS 14, but it has the HOME app, then the older device will still work with whatever it used to do.....but it will not be able to do whatever new things are introduced with iOS 14....including new hardware like the HomePod mini.

Yea, I was just making it clear to others reading it, that this rules out the HomePod Mini for any devices not running iOS 14. :)

James2McGill3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2019

So i will not be able to use the homepod mini with my ipad mini 2?
About your message saying that Home app and logic and iphone 8 that is flly updated to ios 8 will work with homepod 2018, or only was specific hardware?

Nowadays you guys recomend to buy 1rst hand or 2n hand a homepod 2018? Cause not planning on renew my ipad.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
So i will not be able to use the homepod mini with my ipad mini 2?
About your message saying that Home app and logic and iphone 8 that is flly updated to ios 8 will work with homepod 2018, or only was specific hardware?

Nowadays you guys recomend to buy 1rst hand or 2n hand a homepod 2018? Cause not planning on renew my ipad.

As per Apple’s website, the iPad mini 2 is not supported:

HomePod mini is compatible with iPhone SE, iPhone 6s or later, or iPod touch (7th generation) running iOS 14; or iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation or later), iPad Air 2 or later, or iPad mini 4 or later running iPadOS 14.

If you got a HomePod (2018), I’ll be on the 13.4 version of the software, which according to Apple’s site means that the iPad Mini 2 is not supported on that either.

Apple’s HomePod site

All you might be able to do is airplay audio, but you cannot do much else.

Last edited:

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
As per Apple's newsroom website, which specifies which iOS version, as the HomePod Mini just says latest iOS version..

It appears to be the same as the 2018 HomePod. I assume that will support iOS 13.4 or above, until that HomePod is updated to the 14.1 software update for HomePods that will come out soon (likely 13th November with the HomePod Mini's release)

I don't have my music on my iPhone, I keep it all on my MacBook Pro, so I'm interested to know if I can play music on the HomePod Mini.

It does seem that I can:

HomePod mini works effortlessly with your Apple devices.

Pick up an incoming call from your iPhone, listen to music on your Mac, or upgrade your TV experience by taking the sound from your Apple TV to the next level — they all connect to HomePod mini.

Ansath

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2018
I don't have my music on my iPhone, I keep it all on my MacBook Pro, so I'm interested to know if I can play music on the HomePod Mini.

It does seem that I can:

HomePod mini works effortlessly with your Apple devices.

Pick up an incoming call from your iPhone, listen to music on your Mac, or upgrade your TV experience by taking the sound from your Apple TV to the next level — they all connect to HomePod mini.

Yea, will be via AirPlay, like any other AirPlay speaker. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchl9beedd58/mac

You need an iOS device that is supported by the HomePod/HomePod Mini to set it up first though, which is what we were discussing above.

Reactions: Unsupported

James2McGill3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
If you got a HomePod (2018), I’ll be on the 13.4 version of the software, which according to Apple’s site means that the iPad Mini 2 is not supported on that either.

All you might be able to do is airplay audio, but you cannot do much else.
[/QUOTE]

Need a 13.4 above with Homepod 2018 and ios 14 for Homepod mini. Do you (for everybody) have a Homepod? Wich features i will lose if i use Airplay. Not interested in buying more than one (in short term and probably long) so which one would you recommend me? (My room is 95 ft2/ almost 9m2 and living room 300 ft2/ 28m2)

rlhamil

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Catalina on a Mac doesn't see the HomePod Mini either. Presumably Big Sur would, but I'm not updating to that real soon, too much that I use (e.g. a lot of MacPorts) isn't quite ready yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.