Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMaldaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Kentucky
I got a HomePod Mini for Christmas and set it up. I'm just getting accustomed to it. One thing I do a lot is listen to podcasts. For years I've used the Downcast app as my podcast accumulator and player. The Mini says it cannot access that app! Has anyone got a workaround for using a podcast app other than Apple Podcasts?

As a trial, I did subscribe to a podcast in the Apple Podcast app. Then, I tried to get the Mini to play it. Siri said she couldn't find the podcast, though it is there in the app on my phone that is connected to the Mini via bluetooth. I have no real desire to switch podcast apps. Downcast is great and I am used to it.

Any tips?

JohnMaldaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Kentucky
So, I’ve done some investigation on my own and I discovered Handoff. BINGO! I can access AirPlay on my iPhone. Then, open Downcast and go to a podcast. Hold my phone real close to the top of the Mini, and it plays the podcast!

I’d prefer that Siri could simply start a podcast play in Downcast. But, this is an acceptable workaround.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.