Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
I dont have an Apple Music subscription nor do i subscribe to itunes match. I've purchased music on itunes previously. It seems Homepod is able to directly play (via Siri) all my songs in my itunes/icloud library. Of course you can always use Airplay to play from one of your devices but know that you dont need apple music nor itunes match to play some of your itunes library. Maybe its just my purchased music that is automatically in my icloud account.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Have you tried asking siri to play something you ripped from CD? i.e., music not purchased from Apple?

My homepod, when I first bought it a few weeks ago, wasn't able to find music I'd ripped. Once I subscribed to iTunes Match, it was able to recognize and play everything.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Via Siri, the HomePod can play iTunes purchased music, but not music from your iTunes library (unless you subscribe to iTunes Match). But you can AirPlay your iTunes library via a Mac or iOS device.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
It is disappointing that for this kind of investment (Mac + HomePod + CD collection) Apple is unable to build the same level of integration. Especially since iTunes already knows all your track names, artists, playlists etc . While I like Apple Music, its music suggestions to me are no match against what iTunes offered me with Genius and my own smart playlists.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
If you have iTunes match, HomePod can play anything in your library. I was quite pleased to find this out.

Otherwise, without Apple music or iTunes Match, it's no better than a typical dumb speaker for iTunes except that you can tell it to skip tracks and pause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.