Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ada74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Malaysia
Hi,

I have an early-2011 MBP 15" and had the HD changed to SSD(Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 EVO) with Sierra installed. While booting, I noticed a colourful horizontal stripe appear across the screen. It disappears after awhile and boots ok. I'm able to log normally and everything seems ok.

The local Apple service center did a video test and suggested the brand new SSD may be defected.

Has anyone experienced this irritating horizontal stripe on boot up?

I've attached a pic of the screen of the video test and the horizontal stripe. Hope someone out there has a similar experience.

Attachments

• IMG_7016.PNG
    IMG_7016.PNG
    386.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_7010.JPG
    IMG_7010.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It's a 2011 it's probably the well known dGPU issue take it back to Apple make them test for that, they have to fix it for free until next year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The local Apple service center did a video test and suggested the brand new SSD may be defected.
An SSD is not going to cause graphical anomalies on the scree, the GPU is and as mentioned this is a known issue with 2011 machines.

Apple has a repair program to replace the logic boards for these defective machines, but you need to move fast, that program is expiring in December.

ada74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Malaysia
It's a 2011 it's probably the well known dGPU issue take it back to Apple make them test for that, they have to fix it for free until next year.

The Apple service centre was aware of that. That was the first search result for this model. I assumed the video test they ran ruled out the dGPU issue.

However, a defect on a brand new SSD seem hard to believe. I'm having a hard time going back to the vendor and claim a defect on the SSD just because of a horizontal stripe on the screen while everything else works.

Was wondering if anyone else may have a similar situation because of HD problems instead of dGPU.

Thanks for your attention
[doublepost=1478605959][/doublepost]
An SSD is not going to cause graphical anomalies on the scree, the GPU is and as mentioned this is a known issue with 2011 machines.

Apple has a repair program to replace the logic boards for these defective machines, but you need to move fast, that program is expiring in December.

Flynn,

Thanks for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.