Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaydenWalter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
I've recently purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro (15") and have noticed that every now and then (not all the time) the hot corners to make the display sleep or trigger the screen saver, don't function. The strange part is that I have the launchpad mapped to another corner and I can trigger the launchpad, but when I go to the corner I have mapped to put the display to sleep, nothing happens.

I've never had this problem in the 6+ years that I owned my 2012 MacBook Pro (15"), so I don't know what's going on. If anybody is having the same problem or has found a solution, I'd be delighted!

Lightsaber

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
That happens on occasion to mine, usually after the display wakes up from sleep. Doesn’t seem to hurt anything, probably just a glitch in the macOS screen driver program code. I find a reboot will always clear it up.

JaydenWalter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
That happens on occasion to mine, usually after the display wakes up from sleep. Doesn’t seem to hurt anything, probably just a glitch in the macOS screen driver program code. I find a reboot will always clear it up.
hmmm it's just annoying when I can't put the display to sleep without shutting the lid or needing to reboot.. Like I said, it's not something I've ever had an issue with int he last 6+ years of the MacBook Pro 2012. Hopefully there is a software fix coming with Mojave...

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
hmmm it's just annoying when I can't put the display to sleep without shutting the lid or needing to reboot.. Like I said, it's not something I've ever had an issue with int he last 6+ years of the MacBook Pro 2012. Hopefully there is a software fix coming with Mojave...
If you go into the settings for the Touchbar, you can actually add a button to sleep the computer. You might try adding that and seeing if it is more consistent than the hotcorners for making the Mac sleep. That’s what I use now almost all the time.

JaydenWalter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
If you go into the settings for the Touchbar, you can actually add a button to sleep the computer. You might try adding that and seeing if it is more consistent than the hotcorners for making the Mac sleep. That’s what I use now almost all the time.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it when I get home. I'm so used to flicking my cursor into the corner of the screen though.. I might just use it as a backup for when the hot corner doesn't work. :)

Reactions: Painter2002

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
I'm not having any problems on my 2018 13" macbook pro and I've set it to sleep using the upper right corner.
Just as a test, try setting it to a different corner and see how it goes.

JaydenWalter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
I'm not having any problems on my 2018 13" macbook pro and I've set it to sleep using the upper right corner.
Just as a test, try setting it to a different corner and see how it goes.
When I have this problem, the bottom hot corners of my screen work (launchpad and multitasking) but when I swap the sleep to one of those corners, it still doesn't work. I think it must have something to do with taking control over the screen.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I've got the same problem with Mojave 10.14.4, 2018 MBP 15". I have upper left corner to sleep the screen and sometimes it just won't work. If I go into System Prefs, set it to something else, then reset it, it works again but that's a PITA. I never had this problem previously (like 2018 and earlier), it worked every time then so something is up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.