Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Hey All! I have a hot pixel in the center of every picture I take with my D90... Aperture 2 doesn't automatically correct this like Lightroom does. Can anyone see if Aperture 3 corrects this? If not, does anyone have a simple workflow they use in order to fix this problem automatically (without too much time spent)?

Thanks!

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I believe you can download and install the Aperture 3 trial without affecting your current Aperture 2 install, so that would be the best way to see for yourself. However, I installed the trial, and it appears to find and mask (if that's the correct term) the hot/dead/stuck red pixel I have on my D90 when opening RAW files.
iPhoto does this as well.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I am currently downloading the upgrade to Aperture 3... It is still upgrading my Aperture 2 library, so I haven't been able to test.

I don't shoot in RAW too often, but I may start if that is the best/easiest way to fix the problem. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't in the middle of every photo, it is just very obvious...

Thanks for the info, and I will see what I can find out tomorrow.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
It's annoying for sure. Mine is in the lower center of the photo. And I'd be happy shooting in JPG most of the time, but now I'm probably going to use RAW more often as well. I understand it's common and even a normal occurrence to have one or a few dead pixels, but this is the first camera I've had that I've noticed them.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
From what I understand, the only reason you notice them is because Aperture makes them more obvious. Most editing software reduces the effect, while Aperture makes it even worse.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
It's my understanding (yet I'm not expert by any stretch) is that software like Adobe Camera Raw effectively maps out or masks hot pixels automatically as it reads a RAW file. Earlier versions of Aperture did not include this feature. I know iPhoto currently does and Aperture 3 appears to as well. In iPhoto, when you first load a RAW photo, you can see the hot pixel, then it just goes away in a few seconds. Its always there when u re-open the file for a moment, so the RAW files is not being modified. iPhoto is just re-applying the mask or whatever you want to call it - and a jpg created from the RAW file will automatically be fixed as well.
If you view a RAW photo that has not been processed to remove a hot pixel, then it will probably look worse than it's JPG counterpart since jpg compression will probably make it stand out less.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
I still get hot pixels in A3 with RAW from my S90. LR2 removes them. So, YMMV.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
I wonder if you need this to make it work correctly with the S90:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1001

Hmm, nope. There is still a nice bright red stuck pixel.

I'm really conflicted about Aperture 3. On one hand the organization and integration is great. On the other hand, the actual algorithms (RAW for S90, noise reduction, fringe reduction, and even exposure/brightness/etc...) seem pretty poor. I wish they would have invested a bit in processing to get decent IQ.

fotografo

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2010
It Fixes...sometimes..

Hey All! I have a hot pixel in the center of every picture I take with my D90... Aperture 2 doesn't automatically correct this like Lightroom does. Can anyone see if Aperture 3 corrects this? If not, does anyone have a simple workflow they use in order to fix this problem automatically (without too much time spent)?

Thanks!

My d300 has 6 hot pixels..I use LR and it removes them automatically..Aperture 3 also removes them BUT not all of them..there is one green hot pixel that appears in my raw files..the thing is that it is NOT always there..sometimes I open a file and it´s there, then close the file and open it again later and it is NOT there anymore...I think it´s a kind of bug that must be fixed by apple if they want the software to be really a pro tool.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
My d300 has 6 hot pixels..I use LR and it removes them automatically..Aperture 3 also removes them BUT not all of them..there is one green hot pixel that appears in my raw files..the thing is that it is NOT always there..sometimes I open a file and it´s there, then close the file and open it again later and it is NOT there anymore...I think it´s a kind of bug that must be fixed by apple if they want the software to be really a pro tool.

Great, so Aperture 3 features non-deterministic hot pixel removal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.