Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So I bought a D90 on Friday and noticed a red +. Found out it was a hot pixel...since it was in the center of image, I returned it today. I exchanged it and now I have the same problem on the edges a green and blue (that I found so far)... How do you professionals get around this? Do you keep exchanging till you get one that you like? I Know I can take it to Nikon and have it remapped but it could happen again. I know I can easily take it out in PS using the healing brush or the like but going through all your images is a pain in the butt! Is there a way to automatically take the hot pixels and fix it?
I know on higher ISOs settings you can see it more but how slow/fast is expectable. The main reason I got this camera was because of work; shooting HS sports and I guess family vacations.

What should I do?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
My approach, assuming the camera works fine otherwise, would be to have Nikon remap it. In that case, you can be a lot more certain that you'll get back a good camera than if you keep exchanging cameras til you get one you like.

All image sensors have dead or hot pixels. The camera mfgr maps them out before shipping, but occasionally a new one develops right away. Increasing power on-off cycles guarantees there will be more over time.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I think over the next few days I'll take a lot of photos at various settings and see what happens... I plan on going to the NY auto show on Friday! so i'll guess its a good test to see what happens.
Does any one know if aperture 3 removes them automatically on import? I've heard Lightroom does this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.